• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cali indicts auction fraudster...any idea what platform he was using?

1 post in this topic

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/bogus-online-auto-auction-participant-indicted-bank-fraud

An international online fraudster was just indicted by the Northern District of California. This guy doesn't seem to have been selling collectibles but so many of us use online auctions to buy and sell that I think this kind of action is very relevant to our hobby. I'm no legal scholar so I couldn't even find the actual indictment, just the press release form the DOJ, but hopefully it'll eventually get released and have a bunch more information.

I doubt this guy was using eBay simply because the DOJ would love to put them on blast for political reasons. I think if it was eBay, that would be in the headline. But right now there are tons of auction or consignment-style websites popping up for collectibles and no one has absolutely no way of knowing if any of the transactions are legit. I'm basically phasing out online purchasing in favor of in person buying but I live in a place with tons of dealers, retailers and collectibles. I know a lotta people don't have this luxury and have to rely heavily on anonymous, online sales.

Good luck out there. The internet is gettin' wild! Don't go chasin' waterfalls!🌊

Bonus ridiculous nonsense: When I looked up the guy I got what looks like a 5 year old facebook comment of him saying hi to the FBI 🤣

Hello FBI From Auction Scammer.PNG