• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic in CGC slab for signature

7 posts in this topic

I got the batman 608 to be signed by Jim Lee... it is in  CGC case.

Is it possible to take it out but still put it back in the car and retain the 9.0 grade?

How would you advice on going about getting the book signed.  Open it at home or at the event?

It will be regraded, no way to guarantee the same grade. Though theoretically the grade could go higher, lower, or stay the same.

some folks get it pressed after the signing in an effort to retain or improve the grade

that is optional, and takes an additional fee.

Edited by revat

On 6/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, SilverMist said:

Is it possible to take it out but still put it back in the car and retain the 9.0 grade?

How would you advice on going about getting the book signed.  Open it at home or at the event?

Yes, you can crack it carefully (there are YouTube videos) without harming the comic. 

If you are unconfident cracking the case, CGC will do it for a fee. 

Keep in mind, there is no guarantee the book will come back the same grade. Even if no damage is done, graders could have different opinions on the grade. Also the book will be handled allot during the signature process and things can happen. So there is a risk. A press may be a good idea. 

On 6/12/2022 at 5:07 PM, SilverMist said:

I'm confident that you can take it out of the car and put it back in the car while retaining the 9.0 grade. Just make sure you don't snag it on the seat belt strap. Good luck

Edited by JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On 6/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, SilverMist said:

Is the Jim Lee signing a CGC Signature Series event?  It's not clear reading your question, but if it's not a CGC SS event then having an unauthenticated signature not witnessed by CGC will result in either a lower grade Blue Label or more likely a Qualified Green label with defect (signature) not affecting the grade but affecting the value since green labels are not desirable. Another option, if not CGC SS event,  is to keep the label but not resubmit to CGC for grading. If this comic book is a keeper just put it in a mylar sleeve with backerboard and enjoy it.

If it is a CGC SS event I would have CGC crack the slab at the venue.