• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr. Strange 169 with store stamps
3 3

12 posts in this topic

At the risk of abusing the forum hive mind, I've got another one (disclaimer, I've been trying to figure out what books are worth sending for the Roy Thomas signing).

Here's a copy of Dr. Strange 169. I'd feel comfortable expecting at least an 8.0 based on previous submissions, except for the store stamps. I know there's supposed to be leniency about these at CGC, but it seems like it can't be a non-factor. There's a date stamp in the arm of the astral projection. It's light that at a glance, you don't notice it. On the reverse is a store stamp. Hard to miss. Would this book be doomed to come in lower than an 8.0? Maybe those small stains at the top of the back cover are a bigger problem.... 

20220612_215310.jpg

20220612_215320.jpg

On 6/13/2022 at 10:43 AM, PeterPark said:

8.0, some don't like date stamps but I do. I don't think they usually impact the grade except in very high grade conditions. And how cool is it to see the actual day the book came in?!?

As far as that goes, I used Google maps to look at the address of what I assume was a bookstore in the late 60s. It appears to be a completely residential neighborhood now. But that's also what gives me pause since it's not a simple date stamp.

7.0/7.5

Store stamp won't matter in this grade range.

I'm not sure what the highest grade possible would be. Overstreet would say 9.2 I think.

Here's some high grade showing that VF/NM can happen.

1607094190_lf(2).thumb.jpeg.679a988507e0c90e37be558287351fda.jpeg

1437233194_lf(1).thumb.jpeg.f1a67e2aab7e3e7f635311484bace535.jpeg

141832609_lf(3).thumb.jpeg.fc1f126cc130763bf339ebe1b4f57de2.jpeg

758086803_lf(4).thumb.jpeg.cc2f8b5ada40bbe589576e45237f546a.jpeg

@zzutakMaybe you can lend some insight.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by grendelbo

Agreed -- the store stamp and distributor date stamp should not be your biggest concern.  (thumbsu  In my opinion, the more critical defects (aside from the handling wear along the top edge of the front cover) are the stains along the top and left edges of the back cover.  If you're looking for a sure-fire 8.0 VF, I don't think this is the ticket.  One man's opinion.  :foryou:

Clear, relatively unobtrusive store stamps and date stamps do not affect the grade of books (from the appropriate time period) except well into the 9.x range, and sometimes not even then.

The back cover stains, on the other hand.... The FC UL also looks a little soft, and there's some hint of wear on the spine there. It's sometimes tough to evaluate stains in photos because lighting makes things look funny, but I'm going to guess 7.0 here because CGC has really dinged stains hard lately. On the other hand, they're small and there's no tidelines, so a good day with a nice grader might get that one or two grades higher. It's certainly not a shoe-in for an 8.0, though. Which is a shame, because it really does present beautifully from the front.

On 6/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, Qalyar said:

Clear, relatively unobtrusive store stamps and date stamps do not affect the grade of books (from the appropriate time period) except well into the 9.x range, and sometimes not even then.

The back cover stains, on the other hand.... The FC UL also looks a little soft, and there's some hint of wear on the spine there. It's sometimes tough to evaluate stains in photos because lighting makes things look funny, but I'm going to guess 7.0 here because CGC has really dinged stains hard lately. On the other hand, they're small and there's no tidelines, so a good day with a nice grader might get that one or two grades higher. It's certainly not a shoe-in for an 8.0, though. Which is a shame, because it really does present beautifully from the front.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:43 AM, PeterPark said:

8.0, some don't like date stamps but I do. I don't think they usually impact the grade except in very high grade conditions. And how cool is it to see the actual day the book came in?!?

Thanks for all the super feedback!

I got super dinged on a stain recently, so now I'm totally paranoid (one of the stains is barely noticeable). I actually have a 2nd copy of this book with no stains and no stamps. But it presents from the front at least a point lower 😭

Edited by scburdet

On 6/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, scburdet said:

At the risk of abusing the forum hive mind, I've got another one (disclaimer, I've been trying to figure out what books are worth sending for the Roy Thomas signing).

Here's a copy of Dr. Strange 169. I'd feel comfortable expecting at least an 8.0 based on previous submissions, except for the store stamps. I know there's supposed to be leniency about these at CGC, but it seems like it can't be a non-factor. There's a date stamp in the arm of the astral projection. It's light that at a glance, you don't notice it. On the reverse is a store stamp. Hard to miss. Would this book be doomed to come in lower than an 8.0? Maybe those small stains at the top of the back cover are a bigger problem.... 

20220612_215310.jpg

20220612_215320.jpg

I like the provenance going back to 1968.

And it's on the back, well-placed and fully legible.