• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WONDER MAN series (2024?)

52 posts in this topic

Wonder Man is the latest Marvel superhero to get the screen treatment.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton has teamed up with Andrew Guest, a writer-producer on comedies such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Community, to tackle a live-action series featuring the longtime Marvel character.

Guest will serve as head writer of the series, while Cretton will exec produce and possibly direct an episode or more. Cretton is working via his overall deal with Marvel Studios, signed late last year in the glow of Shang-Chi’s success.

Development for what is being titled Wonder Man is in the early stages, but if things crackle, cameras could be rolling in 2023.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, thunsicker said:

I'd love for it to be Nathan Fillion like it was originally supposed to be.

Love him, but Nathan Fillion’s in his 50s.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 6/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

Death in the MCU is never permanent: MULTIVERSE (*)!

* lazy writing

A comedy?

There's more Wonder Man content to work with than going 'generic Disney+' surely.

IIRC - Wonder Mans biggest issue was 'proving he belonged' with the Avengers - and was racked with cowardice and recklessness.

The 'Unreliable Avenger' angle gives Disney a lot to work with, rather than yet another comedy?

On 6/16/2022 at 8:07 PM, Beige said:

A comedy?

There's more Wonder Man content to work with than going 'generic Disney+' surely.

IIRC - Wonder Mans biggest issue was 'proving he belonged' with the Avengers - and was racked with cowardice and recklessness.

The 'Unreliable Avenger' angle gives Disney a lot to work with, rather than yet another comedy?

It can definitely be both.  

I guess they are going for that 1990’s series, slightly later confident superhero/actor take on the character. I wonder if we see a furry Beast in the show too?

My long-range prediction: they get a couple few seasons out of it and then slightly reprise it by doing Doc Samson. Very Disney+ to try a sensitive shrink superhero too. Similar vein as a comedic Wonder Man show.

I'm guessing Wonder Man then joins the Avengers?

Any hints of the new Avengers line-up?

Wonder Man

Thor (Hemsworth)

Dr Strange

She-Hulk

Maybe Black Knight, Wasp as add-ons throughout the phase 5 / Kang movies.  I reckon Sam Wilson will get bumped off in Cap #4 - a new super soldier will be cast as Captain America. A normal strength Cap America with wings and a shield doesn't do it for me

2c

On 6/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

Death in the MCU is never permanent: MULTIVERSE (*)!

* lazy writing

Just learned about this TV show, and as soon as I did I knew they would go the route of a comedy which is very unfortunate. I love the story in Avengers 9: the change by WonderMan to aid the side of good and then his death and the subsequent resurrection of Simon Williams in later issues. What an interesting concept for a show to explore returning from the grave and how living on "borrowed time" influences decisions and the confidence of the character. I know they won't go anywhere near that story and instead will focus on the jokey /TV actor stuff which I personally find is unreadable in the comics and is dollar box filler. 

Had a friend who worked for a local zoo as a handler maintenance guy. He was cleaning the tiger pen when the animal attacked him. He was "dead" for a long time but was resuscitated. He has since passed away but he often talked about living on borrowed time and the tiger incident had a major impact on how he made choices. R.i.p. Steve.

Edited by Artboy99

On 6/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, Beige said:

A comedy?

It will be a comedy which is light and fluffy and have nothing of substance. 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:23 PM, Artboy99 said:

The next Disney+ show will be Foolkiller as a comedy where he knocks out villains through tricking them into a Dutch Oven.

It will be a hit stinker!

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, Artboy99 said:

Agreed - and a shame

Williams was...complex

A lot to work with - rather than go the comedy route.

Phase 4 is pretty much an epic failure.

They really need the 'big bad villain' to pull the phases together - Hopefully Phase 5 is better. I'm not holding my breath of what I have seen so far......Secret Invasion needs to knock it out of the park