• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's GAME OF THRONES - JON SNOW series (TBD)
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are giving their thoughts on the Jon Snow sequel that HBO is/was developing — and whether they’d ever return to the hit TV franchise they created. 

“It would be so great; nothing would make us happier than to work with our people from that show,” Weiss said. “But there are a lot of other ways to make that happen that are fresh and exciting for everyone involved. Also, unless [Kit Harington] has been doing a lot of working out, that’s a really heavy cloak for a guy in his 40s to carry around — it’s like 60 pounds.”

I suggest picking up Snow’s story is one of those ideas that becomes more interesting if more time goes by first.

Benioff nods. “Like in The Color of Money — that was a good sequel,” he said, referring to 61-year-old Paul Newman playing pool hustler “Fast Eddie” Felson decades after playing the role in The Hustler.  

“Maybe when we’re 80 and Kit’s approaching retirement, he can throw that cloak on again with real gray in his beard,” Weiss said. 

“One last ride …” Benioff said. 

(The Snow project was put into development two years ago. HBO boss Casey Bloys told THR this week there’s “lots in development” based on author George R.R. Martin’s fantasy world but declined to discuss the status of specific projects.)

I asked if they “miss it” — being on the Thrones set — even as notoriously cold and rainy and muddy and miserable as those long night shoots in Northern Ireland so often were. 

“Oh yeah,” Benioff said immediately. “All the time.”

During an exclusive interview with Screen Rant promoting Blood for Dust, Harington confirmed that the Jon Snow spinoff series is no longer in development. The actor says the project was previously in the developmental stage, but "currently, it's not" and "it's off the table" because they "couldn't find the right story to tell." Though it's no longer in active development, Harington hopes they can revisit the project sometime in the future. Read his full comments below:

"I hadn't really ever spoken about it, because it was in development. I didn't want it leaked out that it was being developed, and I didn't want the thing to happen where people kind of start theorizing, getting either excited about it or hating the idea of it, when it may never happen. Because in development, you look at every angle, and you see whether it's worth it."

"And currently, it's not. Currently, it's off the table, because we all couldn't find the right story to tell that we were all excited about enough. So, we decided to lay down tools with it for the time being. There may be a time in the future where we return to it, but at the moment, no. It's firmly on the shelf."