• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Thor Annual 1
3 3

11 posts in this topic

From my Square Bound Closet of Anxieties. There's some obvious dings and the back needs cleaned, if possible. It presents very well though for a square bound book. My obvious concern is where the cover is separating from the spine at the bottom (I tried to hold it up without making it worse). Again, I've heard that sometimes sq bound books don't get hammered as badly as regular books, but how bad is the deduction?

I'm bias about getting all the square bound books encapsulated just to keep them from deteriorating even more.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by scburdet

I’m at a 5.0 on this.  Most of my graded square bounds seem to have graded better than I expected when in the mid and high level grades.  Grading squarebounds is pretty tough for me too, either I’m too harsh or conservative on certain flaws.  As you get lower, it seems they do grade a bit tighter.  Is the edge binding piece missing at the tear, it’s hard to see from the pics, if so that may knock it a bit as well.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:52 PM, Tank the Dog said:

I’m at a 5.0 on this.  Most of my graded square bounds seem to have graded better than I expected when in the mid and high level grades.  Grading squarebounds is pretty tough for me too, either I’m too harsh or conservative on certain flaws.  As you get lower, it seems they do grade a bit tighter.  Is the edge binding piece missing at the tear, it’s hard to see from the pics, if so that may knock it a bit as well.

Sub-par photography on my part. Hard to deal with the shadows and hold the cover. As far as I can tell, there isn't a missing piece. It's just separated and there there's a tear that separates the thin spine paper from the rest of the spine. Thanks for looking!

On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 AM, evilskip said:

4.0 to 4.5. A book I wish I had kept.

I have avoided this problem by having a uni-directional approach to comics. I have more than 1 long box of duplicate books I haven't even sold....

If I read these notes, it almost sounds like the spine split wasn't considered too bad. I'd have said it was the worst defect. I don't remember any fingerprints. Don't know if I'll be able to see them through the case

light finger bends on cover
light spine splits to cover
light, multiple spine stress lines breaks color
moderate creasing to cover
moderate fingerprints on cover

Thor-Ann1.jpg