• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM GI Joe 1 (Marvel)
4 4

5 posts in this topic

So, child of the 80s (mostly) here. The annoying kid whose parents for some reason pulled the trigger on a USS FLAGG for Christmas one year. In light of the opportunity to have Larry Hama sign books at a private CGC event, I pulled out the 3 GI Joe books I have that are significant that he worked on. I could send all, none, or something in between depending on what grades I can expect. I will spare the board a triple post though and spread them out. Starting with issue 1. Really solid looking from cover. Small (possibly pressable) spine tic in the middle. Unclear if that's a small stain or some printing issue in the corner box. The real thing that give me pause is the discoloration at the top of the back cover. I've seen this sort of thing on old backing boards but the board with this book is clean, so my guess is this was there before I acquired it (the GI Joe comics I had growing up were beat to hell, so I had to find replacements). I also don't know how easy/hard it would be to clean this discoloration. It does not appear to leach through to the other side of the page. Possibly b/c it's a cardstock cover. Thanks for looking

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Looks like oxidation of the paper. You can also see the discoloration on the front cover.

8.0-ish.

Thanks for posting.

(Side note - a couple of months back I pulled out my copy. It had been a long time since I checked it out. It was looking like a 9.6 with a chance of a 9.8 after a press. Then I discovered the centerfold was detached at the top staple. What a bummer.)

On 6/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, grendelbo said:

Looks like oxidation of the paper. You can also see the discoloration on the front cover.

8.0-ish.

Thanks for posting.

(Side note - a couple of months back I pulled out my copy. It had been a long time since I checked it out. It was looking like a 9.6 with a chance of a 9.8 after a press. Then I discovered the centerfold was detached at the top staple. What a bummer.)

G.I. Joe: A Real American Bummer :frown:

Yeah, we all have those Schrödinger's comics that are both a 9.8 and a 7.0 until we open the box and take the book out of the bag to realize it isn't as perfect as we remember.