• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magic The Gathering modern Comics

8 posts in this topic

I keep seeing Magic comics like the cards, they have beautiful cover art. I have two questions, 1) Are they a good investment to put away? 2) Are they canon for the cards, or are they not in line with the cards? Thank you

I'm going to assume your talking about the current on-going Magic series, from Boom Studios, by McKay...

1.) Investment, probably not.

2.) They are not canon themselves, but they draw on the canon of the cards - the comic story makes sense if you know the general story going on the card game, but it is not official.  The comics also keep up-to-date as much as they can, with Strixhaven being the most recent set in the story (if I recall correctly, I've kind of fallen off playing the game).

For your investment question, I think you have to think of it like this. Are there die hard comic collectors? Yes. And while there are many, it is still a very small percentage of the population. I would argue die hard Magic fans are even smaller (maybe I am wrong here). For these comics, you are trying to find the die hard magic person who loves the cards and has to also have the comics....for me, that is a rare person to find and a group I do not see growing over time thus, not a great investment.

I sold a pile of Magic comics (no clue how old) a couple months ago for $20...was for like 75 comics. This was after posting on a comic site for weeks, a second facebook site AND even a Magic group. I had them listed for $40, but that included shipping so I really only made $20

ON the surface, it may not seem like Magic related comics are an awesome investment, but it really depends on one's own personal views, knowledge, and experience.  In the event they did a Magic The Gathering movie based on a one of the comic storylines that might be come EXTREMELY profitable if you had the right one (presumably purchased for the right price).  Warcraft got a movie, pokemon got a movie (multiple?), yugioh got a tv show (maybe also a movie?), so who knows.  You may not be able to retire but if you bought 50 of a comic for like 20 cents each and could sell them for $5-$10 each based on a movie announcement that's like a 2500% profit.  Of course all the other copies of non-profitable comics you bought cut into the margin

Tons of people buy tons of comics, store them in their attics/basements for years and years, then offload when the appropriate movie/tv show comes out.  The level of profit varies, but it just depends on the person and their situation.  As with anything else, the more knowledge, experience, information, and intelligence you have, the better financial decisions you'll make.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:51 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I sold a pile of Magic comics (no clue how old) a couple months ago for $20...was for like 75 comics. This was after posting on a comic site for weeks, a second facebook site AND even a Magic group. I had them listed for $40, but that included shipping so I really only made $20

If that included the old books from the 90s I'm gonna be really upset I didn't see this listing.  $40 for 75 books?  I would have pounced on that in a heart beat.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:14 AM, Ben Mandley said:

1) Are they a good investment to put away?

I'm gonna echo others...No, they're not a good investment.  They are fun to read if you're looking for additional ways to check that nostalgia box.  I've been collecting the Planeswalker variants and it's cool to have these books with the likes of Liliana, Ajani, and other Planeswalkers that I've seen in the card game.