• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tupac Album cover sale

21 posts in this topic

anybody else catch this one?   Great rapper, weak image IMO..   I thought it was an interesting result at 212k and higher than I would have guessed for sure.

Thoughts?  Anyone else think it was high or low?

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/riskie-forever-american-tupac-shakur-aka-makaveli-the-don-killuminati-the-7-day-theory-andlt-/a/7300-18001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

26108947%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

On 6/23/2022 at 11:04 AM, Bronty said:

anybody else catch this one?   Great rapper, weak image IMO..   I thought it was an interesting result at 212k and higher than I would have guessed for sure.

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/riskie-forever-american-tupac-shakur-aka-makaveli-the-don-killuminati-the-7-day-theory-andlt-/a/7300-18001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The catalog/booklet came in the mail a couple weeks...unexpected, but not in the same zip code as my wheelhouse so I never looked beyond the booklet. 

On 6/23/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bronty said:

It's the album that came out after Pac's death and with various references to his impending doom it's an album fans find memorably prophetic. It's also the album cover that offers an actual artistic interpretation of Pac as opposed to his best album All Eyez on Me. So I think it's a strong number at this point in time. I think as we pass another generation to 2040 a resell should bring a much stronger number. I'm thinking of *Sugar Shack by Ernie Barnes though I won't go on record saying it will hit $15,000,000.

*Sugar Shack by far the superior art work

Edited by grapeape

On 6/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Cheap…….like really really cheap.

Not sure if it is in his wheelhouse, but wouldn’t be surprised if Bill Perkins picked this up. (Sugar Shack buyer)

So here's a thought voyage I'd like you to go down.

1.  Open up heritage and look at the piece, zoom in, get a really good sense of it

2.  Read the dimensions in the description.    Map those out on a wall so that you can get a sense of just how big it is.

3.  Imagine how indescribably ugly it must be at that size.     This piece is the poster child for size being a negative when the work is bad.

Hey, its Tupac, I get it.   I love Tupac.      But its 40k more than the Gremlins movie poster art just sold for.     I could have bought the gremlins, not have eviscerated my eyeballs, and kept 40k in the bargain.

Edited by Bronty

Now, we can both 

On 6/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Cheap…….like really really cheap.

Not sure if it is in his wheelhouse, but wouldn’t be surprised if Bill Perkins picked this up. (Sugar Shack buyer)

To be fair, we can both be right.    Cheap compared to some comic art?   I'd say you're right if we cherry pick certain comic art comps.

Expensive however compared to the Gremlins piece, in my view.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:13 PM, grapeape said:

It's the album that came out after Pac's death and with various references to his impending doom it's an album fans find memorably prophetic. It's also the album cover that offers an actual artistic interpretation of Pac as opposed to his best album All Eyez on Me. So I think it's a strong number at this point in time. I think as we pass another generation to 2040 a resell should bring a much stronger number. I'm thinking of *Sugar Shack by Ernie Barnes though I won't go on record saying it will hit $15,000,000.

*Sugar Shack by far the superior art work

I agree with all of that.     If Pac continues to be regarded the way he's regarded now, it will go up in value over time, but the actual image is certainly a drag.

The last line is on point :insane:

On 6/23/2022 at 12:04 PM, Bronty said:

This was available a while back, want to say sometime in either the very late 2000s or sometime in the 2010s IIRC (the years all blend together at this point). It's not in the HA archives - I don't remember if it didn't meet reserve or if it was at a different auction house.

What I do remember is that the price was low enough back then that I seriously considered making a play for it. As such, the $212K figure strikes me as (very) high by comparison. But, then again, I guess it's not surprising that the tidal wave of money that has flowed into art & collectibles the past few years has made even pieces like these, that were passed over at another time, worth a lot of money nowadays. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 6/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, Bronty said:

3.  Imagine how indescribably ugly it must be at that size.     This piece is the poster child for size being a negative when the work is bad.

Keep ya head up 🎵—Tupac

Keep your head down— the rest of us 

On 6/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, grapeape said:

Keep ya head up 🎵—Tupac

Keep your head down— the rest of us 

Sure, I'm not being full of sunshine and light in describing that work, but I'm speaking how I feel.    I love his music and yet I'd have a real tough time walking past that painting every day.     Other paintings bring me joy, that one... I'd have trouble, and I don't think I'd be alone.   Obviously someone liked it enough to pay a lot of money for it and I hope they enjoy it.

I’m working on buying the King of New York Mural anyways. But nah, I have to remove it brick by brick than reassemble in sunny so cal....which would be sacrilegious. Long reign Christopher Wallace and Tupac. ☮️ 

339D02D0-13DE-4E6D-9065-13E313E4AF03.thumb.webp.23f48c966ac021fd4d0daa474c58c1b6.webp

On 6/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, Bronty said:

So here's a thought voyage I'd like you to go down.

I did and I tried hard, but my nostalgia lensed glasses defeated me.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, Bronty said:

Now, we can both 

To be fair, we can both be right.    Cheap compared to some comic art?   I'd say you're right if we cherry pick certain comic art comps.

Expensive however compared to the Gremlins piece, in my view.

We absolutely are. I am constantly making these apples to oranges comparisons. Since I could never even own a fraction of what I love, my collecting strategy is basically maximizing “value” of my dollar on what I can buy across everything I think is cool/love.

On 6/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, NinjaSealed said:

I did and I tried hard, but my nostalgia lensed glasses defeated me.

We absolutely are. I am constantly making these apples to oranges comparisons. Since I could never even own a fraction of what I love, my collecting strategy is basically maximizing “value” of my dollar on what I can buy across everything I think is cool/love.

lol^^

On 6/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, NinjaSealed said:

my collecting strategy is basically maximizing “value” of my dollar on what I can buy across everything I think is cool/love.

(thumbsu

I think African American spending on black-centered art and historical pieces is a growing market. Anecdotally, I gave my wife (who is AA) a Frederick Douglas letter (<$1000 from a HA auction) a few years ago and of all the pieces hanging on our walls, this is the one piece her family (some who are very successful and/or getting successful) gravitates towards and asks about the most about; and they are surprised/interested to hear about historical documents auctions.

Seems to me AA's in general are underrepresented as a collecting demographic.    I just don't see many of them; I'm not entirely sure why.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, Bronty said:

Seems to me AA's in general are underrepresented as a collecting demographic.    I just don't see many of them; I'm not entirely sure why.

FWIW, Tonight at the charity auction at Heroes Con, the top item (tied for top actually) I saw was a Monica Rambeau painting which Brian Stelfreze has painted earlier in the day. A young black man bought it.