• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there different types of slabs and if so, what are they?

6 posts in this topic

Are all slabs the same basically? I was wondering how much you could customize a slab if at all. Like is there a poor mans slab but then you got the premium slab that offers better protection or something lol I just wanna know if they're all the same or are there options, and if so what those options are.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:38 AM, Travaran said:

Are all slabs the same basically? I was wondering how much you could customize a slab if at all. Like is there a poor mans slab but then you got the premium slab that offers better protection or something lol I just wanna know if they're all the same or are there options, and if so what those options are.

There are different labels. There are different slab sizes. All cases are made of the same materials, though.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:38 AM, Travaran said:

There are different grading companies that all have differing quality of slabs and differing quality of service.  At CGC there are differing slabs through the years that are of differing quality (and some think differing tightness of grading).  Even looking at current CGC slabs there are differing sizes and differing labels.  But if you are looking at sending in some comics to CGC about the only difference you can specify is tier, which is dependent on what you think the comic is worth and how fast you want it back, and whether you want one of their custom labels.

With CGC, all the slabs for comics are the same material. No "poor man's" slab

The slabs they use to encapsulate magazines I would call a poor man's slab because they are larger (to fit the magazine) and tend to be a bit flimsy...but they are the same material.

Other companies used different slabs than CGC. A quick google search will show you what is out there and what their slabs look like. A quick youtube search will probably have people comparing the various companies and what their slabs are like.