• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

National?

5 posts in this topic

I'd like to go but I have to limit my spending Because of an upcoming OA purchace. Last year at the show, there was someone (not sure who) at a table with a few tupperware bins of OA. Looked very disorganized and would have been a nightmare to actually find something you were looking for. But that was last year....

There's usually quite a bit of original art at the National and Big Apple shows. I know Albert Moy (www.albertmoy.com) will be set up. Usually, Anthony Snyder, Scott Eder and Conrad E. have tables too. Last year, Mike Burkey, aka The Romitaman was also there. Also, there will be a lot of artists in artist alley where you can buy pages from or get sketches from.

Lambert

i don't know about getting art directly from artists, but plenty of dealers have OA for which they attempt to charge an arm and three legs, although I don't profess to spend a tremendous amount of time looking. I've seen enough pages that would be $25-$50 on ebay marked at $300-$500 that I don't look much anymore.

I don't want to be seen as an apologist for dealers but I don't think it's as bad as you portrayed. If that was the case, what dealer could stay in business? confused.gif It's not like eBay is an inside little secret that only people "in the know" have access. Ebay is the biggest mover of original art PERIOD. Now, I'm not saying comic art dealers don't ever mark things up or don't charge higher than they should. Heaven's no! grin.gif Sometimes, it's on purpose sometimes it's their own miscalculation of that particular piece's value but sure they do. Now I am not a big book collector anymore but I'm pretty sure book sellers also do the same thing at least they did back in the days when I did collect books. However, I think if you look hard enough you can buy something worthwhile at reasonable price from dealers' tables/bins/portfolios.

Oh and btw, if what you say is true, what you should do is buy those $25-50 pages on ebay that you mentioned, then go see that dealer at a show with those same or similar pages that you mentioned seeing marked at $300-500 and THEN trade him those pages on HIS inflated value and get really good stuff! wink.gif It's pretty hard for a guy to tell you your $20 page is not worth $300 when right on the table he has a similar page for $300 for sale! Actually, that sounds pretty good to me; can you direct me to those pages so I can carry out my diabolical plan? grin.gif

Lamb