• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monster Mags (Famous Monsters of Filmland, Modern Monsters, Monster World, Castle of Frankenstein) and more!
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Assorted older Famous Monsters of Filmland issues. SOLD

Some have tape but I figure you can't go wrong at $70.00 ($7 a piece) for these 10 early issues.

FMF.jpg

FMBK.jpg

Edited by Rip

On 6/28/2022 at 12:44 AM, Rip said:

Eerie 23 F 5.0 $140

Nice page quality

Eerie23F.jpg

Eerie23BK.jpg

Eerie23open.jpg

On 6/26/2022 at 1:45 PM, Rip said:

(I'm going to be a bit slower with pics. I torn my Achillies heal off the bone and had some surgery 10 days ago)

Modern Monsters 1 F/VF to VF-

Center poster detached otherwise VF+

(I will be showing pics of the poster on each issue)

$20

mondernmonsters1F.jpg

Modern Monsters 1BK.jpg

P0ster1.jpg

84159476-6FD0-438C-8CAA-33652AD97B7C.gif.0a34a3aac9cead6de5d0f0b7ee45a6fb.gif

:takeit:

On 6/28/2022 at 12:28 AM, Rip said:

Assorted older Famous Monsters of Filmland issues.

Some have tape but I figure you can't go wrong at $70.00 ($7 a piece) for these 10 early issues.

FMF.jpg

FMBK.jpg

You're REALLY making me reconsider my reluctance to start adding Famous Monsters of Filmland to my otherwise All Things Warren collection...

...5% of the full run for $70?  If I could get the full run at that same rate (200ish issues for $1,400ish!!), I might be clicking...

...but no.

I just can't.

Not now.

Not yet...

...you don't have the other 190, do you?

On 6/27/2022 at 11:35 PM, Axe Elf said:

You're REALLY making me reconsider my reluctance to start adding Famous Monsters of Filmland to my otherwise All Things Warren collection...

...5% of the full run for $70?  If I could get the full run at that same rate (200ish issues for $1,400ish!!), I might be clicking...

...but no.

I just can't.

Not now.

Not yet...

...you don't have the other 190, do you?

Sorry just these right now.

Last update to what is left, EVERYTHING HERE 25% OFF

Modern Monsters 4 NM/NM+ $100

Castle of Frankenstein 11 NM- $75 (Page quality C/OW)

Famous Monsters of Filmland 38 VG Copy A $25

Famous Monsters of Filmland 38 (copy 2) VF- 7.5 $100

Famous Monsters of Filmland 44 VF $35

Vampirella 2 F- 5.5 Lets try $130

For Monsters Only Mid grade all 3 issues 2,3,4 $35.00 

Castle of Frankenstein 8 VF/VF+ $25

Marvel Preview 3 Fine+ $25

Edited by Rip

On 6/28/2022 at 2:35 AM, Axe Elf said:

It IS their flagship title. Tons of great Basil Gogos covers…:baiting:

On 6/28/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jayman said:

It IS their flagship title. Tons of great Basil Gogos covers…:baiting:

I know, but I just never LIKED the magazine.  I perused a few on the same Variety Store racks where I bought CREEPYs and EERIEs in the late 70s, and they all seemed so sloppily thrown together, and the writing seemed like it came from a teenage boy.  I guess that's who they were targeting, but it just never appealed to me.  And there are SO MANY of them!  If there were 30 issues (or if my resources were unlimited), I'd be like sure, why not?  But after investing in EVERYTHING ELSE Warren ever published over the last five months, my grasp on the household's pursestrings at the moment is already tenuous at best.  Spending several thousand more dollars for 200 issues of a title I don't even enjoy just isn't a realistic goal in the foreseeable future.

But yeah, it's arguable that Warren wouldn't have survived to produce the titles I DO love and treasure without riding the success of Famous Monsters of Filmland through their various other short-lived dud series before hitting on the horror comic magazine niche.  The importance of the title to the lineage is undeniable.  I simply can't afford it right now, and I don't like it enough to WANT to afford it... yet.

@Axe Elf, I hear ya! We as collectors can only collect so much! I’d say 90% of the FM’s are cheap, it’s the first couple of issues (1-20) or thereabouts that get pricey! I’m still filling in the 20-40 range with some rogue issues in the 50’s I need.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, Jayman said:

I hear ya! We as collectors can only collect so much! I’d say 90% of the FM’s are cheap, it’s the first couple of issues (1-20) or thereabouts that get pricey! I’m still filling in the 20-40 range with some rogue issues in the 50’s I need.

It wasn't too long ago I saw a run of all of the first 50 FMs on da'Bay--#1 through #50--and the asking price was somewhere north of $5k.  That pretty much destroyed any dream I might have been entertaining about maybe... one day...  I mean, at that rate, I'd spend twice as much for the FMs as I have for the rest of the Warren catalog!  And I don't even LIKE them!

I'm sure they're not quite worth THAT much, but still--unless I find a couple big runs like that at much more reasonable prices, the constant $4-$8 shipping charges even on $10-$20 books adds up over a couple hundred shipments.

So just to bring this back to my original intent in posting, before marginally hijacking this poor guy's sales thread, yeah, it's incredibly tempting seeing this lot of 10 for $70, even in low-grade condition--because low-grade condition is probably about the only condition I could afford if I ever DO start collecting them, and I don't care about them enough to go seeking out pristine copies anyway.

INCREDIBLY tempting!

(Thank God someone bought them before the 25% off sale dropped!)