• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to clean a slab

9 posts in this topic

When people see my 9.8 and inedvitably end up handling it with their oily greasy hands, what's the proper way to clean it? And what about rougher stains. I just wanna know what the cleaning protocal is for slabs 

Isopropyl Alcohol works for me.  (thumbsu  No special handling precautions (no mask, gloves, etc), readily available at just about any drug or grocery store, super low cost, evaporates quickly, leaves no residue, won't damage the holder, etc.  I've also used it to remove leftover adhesive residue from those funky auction house stickers.  :foryou:

2092153608_Alcohol70.png.78fff4b8dea7ab65f15bd0736e1f833b.png1110753151_Alcohol91.png.9c419b89eac15ec4aedcebdc5fe7d35c.png

On 6/26/2022 at 9:09 PM, zzutak said:

Isopropyl Alcohol works for me.  (thumbsu  No special handling precautions (no mask, gloves, etc), readily available at just about any drug or grocery store, super low cost, evaporates quickly, leaves no residue, won't damage the holder, etc.  I've also used it to remove leftover adhesive residue from those funky auction house stickers.  :foryou:

2092153608_Alcohol70.png.78fff4b8dea7ab65f15bd0736e1f833b.png1110753151_Alcohol91.png.9c419b89eac15ec4aedcebdc5fe7d35c.png

Do you apply these in any specific order? Like How do you use these specifically 

My bad -- I was just showing you two options.  Either concentration will work.  No need to use both.  And you can apply it with a piece of old cotton T-shirt, an ordinary washcloth, a paper towel, etc.  (thumbsu

Edited by zzutak

On 6/26/2022 at 9:17 PM, zzutak said:

My bad -- I was just showing you two options.  Either concentration will work.  No need to use both.  And you can apply it with a piece of old cotton T-shirt, an ordinary washcloth, a paper towel, etc.  (thumbsu

What about one of those eye glass cleaning clothes? You know the super soft ones you use on your glasses and stuff 

Try it and let us know.  If you want to make the whole operation even simpler, you can just purchase a box of adhesive tape remover pads (which are saturated with isopropyl alcohol).  A box of 100 will run you about $7.  :headbang:

928187941_AdhesiveRemover.jpg.c0f1d798c24149f84e83d373f9840c3e.jpg

Edited by zzutak

After a day of rough-housing with the grandkids, I generally leave the slabs out in the sun for a couple of hours.  Many collectors are unaware of the healing power of  solar rays.  I also replace the plastic bags every time they get particulary muddy.  If the weather is really bad and the grandkids insist on playing outdoors, I sometimes double bag the books before they go. 

While slabbed books do make outstanding placemats, I have learned they don't do well with various Italian type sauces.  Drying them off in the microwave works better than in the oven, and I've found many, but not most slabs do fine in the dishwasher, top shelf only.

Edited by shadroch