• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to memorabilia -which authentication & grading do I use?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I met Stan a couple of times (once in Florida and once in San Diego), but only got his signature in 2018... It was a last moment decision, due to the incredible cost. The only thing I had at hand was a poster from 2009's: The Incredible Hulk. My son ran over and got it so I didn't have to get out of line. It came back signed by someone, but I have no idea who. I thought it was the concept artist, but idk. 

I have no concerns about Mr. Lee's autograph, as I watched him sign it. But who does the other belong to? Will it affect value? I noticed that in his later years, Stan's signature changed a little. His underline doesn't extend as far. Has anyone else had one like this graded? Did it affect value? 

Wth the above information and the images, should I send this out? Which services do you suggest (&why if you don't mind)? I know coins, but am new to memorabilia. IMG_20220626_132010121.thumb.jpg.2b7fb8e4eadc913f4b8ae7494e027c1a.jpgIMG_20220626_132100113_HDR.thumb.jpg.301b4ddb8ef90716edb2ef8e2a3d756d.jpgIMG_20220626_132048171.thumb.jpg.e6979341e7339e734a305f7c6112e98b.jpg

On 6/28/2022 at 12:49 AM, LizVicious said:

But who does the other belong to?

Probably the artist.  If you provided a bit more information about the poster (size, printer/brand/company, what specifically it was promoting if anything), it might help someone identify the signature.

Will it affect value?

If you can identify the other signer, and they have some link to either the Hulk or the specific poster, it should increase the value.  How much the increase is would depend on the signer, the general demand for the poster, the condition of the poster, and the selling venue.

Has anyone else had one like this graded?

CGC only grades concert posters, so it would probably make more sense for you check on the forums of another company that grades this kind of poster.

Did it affect value?

I don't think there's a huge difference in value between Stan's changing signatures over time, assuming the potential buyer believes the signature to be real, and the signature is presented neatly in a non-obtrusive location.

should I send this out? Which services do you suggest (&why if you don't mind)?

As stated previously, CGC does not grade these posters, so a detailed discussion of submitting to another company (who might be a competitor) is not really appropriate for this forum.

However, very generally, look for sales data to compare as best you can, weigh the projected increase in achievable price (including selling fees and taxes) against costs (including grading, time risk, shipping, insurance, etc).  But I don't think I'd have it graded without finding out about the other signature first.  If you have it graded and one of the sigs allegedly Stan but you don't know who the other sig is, from my perspective as a potential buyer I'd have a lot more doubts about the Stan sig and would probably pay less.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:48 AM, topcat54 said:

So did he have anything to do with the Hulk?

Not that I’m aware of. He’s on social media and tours the convention circuit selling his art.  The pic below shows some art he posted from the Dallas Con a weekend or so back.  

EDIT: He was the artist of the Hulk image posted above . Apologies as I was interpreting the question as meaning “what does he have to do with the Hulk in any official capacity?”. 

Cory Smith.png

Edited by steveinthecity
Clarity