• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are low value graded 7.0-8.5 worth keeping?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2022 at 12:54 PM, Tregster said:

I was pretty objective about it. No grader notes with those. They looked just as good as a book I had submitted earlier that graded 9.8. It seems like it's so easy for other people to get that grade.

I do not have my books graded, however, being part of this forum I have noticed complaints/conversations about a lack of consistency in grading.

You cannot even ask for an opinion on grade since you cannot examine a book thoroughly enough online to determine 9.6 or higher, I will not grade a book higher than a NM 9.4 without it being in front of me.

I would however be curious as to why you received a NM- 9.2 for a book you assumed would be a NM+ 9.6, IMO, there has to be something obvious such as a non color breaking crease/bend, color breaking spine tick, a few non-color breaking spine ticks, staple tears a noticeable bindery defect or some other defect that is obvious.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I just did that with some semi-key Cry For Dawn books ($70 or so in the 8.5-9.2 range) and no action (one is a Linsner-signed GLOD). I think I'm just going to crack them out and sell them with my other raw CFDs, because I don't think the grades they are in are appealing to people who are collecting Linsner slabs. I'm looking at you, Frank, the CFD master:@asteroid-comix (worship)

:shy:

I think it's incredibly subjective and depends upon the owner or prospective buyer. Some people prefer to have everything CGC'd; some people are flatly interested in only 9.8. I have a bunch of Bronze Age 7.0 and think it's better than having a Bronze Age 3.0.

Nobody can answer this for you...it all comes down to what your goal is for the book. If the book means something to you personally...then who cares what the grade is. If you're trying to flip books for profit....a 7.0 X-Men 1 is a pretty sweet book compared to a brand new modern that should be nothing short of a 9.8. I love picking up key books in the 7.0-8.5 price range and having something I would never want to pay 9.8 prices for, but they still present well and make an awesome collectible for me personally.