• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about buying here on the boards... Let me know if there is a better forum
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Out of the last three buying experiences here on the boards, two have been bad. I've purchased from a great many people here up to $2600. I do tend to stick with buying from sellers I have multiple buying experiences.

This last purchase was almost bad enough to report the situation to the probation thread. I am happy to put this person on ignore (it seems they have already done that to me) but to make it a safe experience here for everyone to purchase shouldn't there be an option to let others know of a bad buying experience without voting them for probation? If there is that option, please let me know.

This specific experience had to do with poor seller packaging and damaged books being returned. In the end I am out a small amount of money, wasted time. and ETC...

The last time I looked, feedback threads don't allow anything but gushing praise.  Was it a mistake that the seller learned from and isn't likely to repeat?  Do you think the person is of low character and will scam the boards?

On 7/5/2022 at 3:42 PM, shadroch said:

The last time I looked, feedback threads don't allow anything but gushing praise.  Was it a mistake that the seller learned from and isn't likely to repeat?  Do you think the person is of low character and will scam the boards?

No, I don't think it's a scam in any way. In a PM I said/asked the following:

I never got more than the $7 mail back from Paypal. 

Tracking shows it got there on the 30th. Do you have an update.

Thanks

D

Seller seemed agitated in response

Yes, the package arrived.

We agreed on me sending you $7 to ship back to me which I sent you.

As far as I am concerned this transaction is completed.

I had spend more than the $7 to get the comics back to him and change the packaging because I was afraid more damage would occur on the way back.

I assume here on the boards everyone knows how to package books but that hasn't always been my experience.

I'm sorry to hear about this, and I hope the seller will learn something about proper packaging of comics for shipping.  There's an excellent explanation of how to do this pinned at the top of the "Newbie Comic Collecting Questions" forum - it's not hard but it does take some effort...and a desire to do it right.

I've bought a ton of books on the Boards and have had only one problem, a seller who didn't bother to list that the book had a detached centerfold.  It was not a big deal as it was a relatively low-grade copy, but that seller goes on my "do not buy from" list.  Over time, you develop relationships on here, so there are a couple of other sellers I've heard about from other Boardies when they had a bad experience, so they're "on the list" as well.

While I don't think your experience would rise to inclusion on any of the "bad" lists, I do agree that the community benefits - and the seller benefits - from having a more low-level flogging of some sort.  Not sure how long a post might survive in the seller's "Kudos" thread, and it might even break some random rule.  You could consider putting a post in your own Kudos thread about it.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 7/5/2022 at 7:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I do agree that the community benefits - and the seller benefits - from having a more low-level flogging of some sort.

Maybe there could be a "You Know Who You Are" thread where no names are used, but real-life issues are put forward as an opportunity to learn from these kinds of mistakes (as opposed to more scammy/obnoxious character issues that could lead to probation/shame).

Hopefully those involved would be able to recognize themselves and achieve the necessary enlightenment without being exposed before their peers--and those not involved could avoid similar errors themselves.

Kind of like double-secret probation.

Just a thought...

On 7/5/2022 at 7:14 PM, Axe Elf said:

Maybe there could be a "You Know Who You Are" thread where no names are used, but real-life issues are put forward as an opportunity to learn from these kinds of mistakes (as opposed to more scammy/obnoxious character issues that could lead to probation/shame).

Hopefully those involved would be able to recognize themselves and achieve the necessary enlightenment without being exposed before their peers--and those not involved could avoid similar errors themselves.

Kind of like double-secret probation.

Just a thought...

Yeah, I'm not anxious to see anyone's reputation take a hit if it's something like learning how to pack better, so your idea is a good one.  Hopefully, the OP's seller learned something here.