• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long term storage
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2022 at 4:46 AM, Race said:

Are you asking one of us to store it for free? I'm sure that could be arranged, considering we already secure our own art. A simple letter signed by both parties and notarizing the transaction (art, value, terms of storage length of term, etc) would ensure your legal right of ownership, if you felt the need to go that far.

Frankly, you could probably also make such an agreement with one of the bigger dealers, though they might ask you to pay.

I haven't considered either scenario, but it could work. Maybe I could offer art for payment hm

On 7/20/2022 at 4:56 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I suggest you make an inventory and get insurance for it, separately. Companies will insure collections. Take lots of photo's. too.

I have scans, but I am definitely taking photos and looking into insurance.

Piggybacking off this post, I've been going back and forth on the best way to present some OA (9x12).  I love what @GreatEscape did with their collection, but I only have 4 pieces and really don't see myself growing out my OA commissions pieces much more than that.  What I'd like to do is place the art in a mylar bag and then display it in a floating frame (an idea I saw elsewhere on these boards).  This would allow me to easily change out the art and alternate between the 4 pieces every so often.  I think GE was able to achieve such low costs per piece because of the large number of art in their collection.  The problem I'm seeing is that eGerber offers a 950M2, but in a pack of 50 which means most of it will just go unused.  There is a 950R available in quantities of 10, but these have no flaps so it sounds like the top just remains open(?)  I guess not an issue when pressed between the glass of the floating frame.  However, I don't see that product online anywhere but eGerber (which requires a $100 minimum order).  Bags Unlimited sells a pack of 25.  BCW's closest product is the Graded Comic Mylar measuring in at 9x14 1/4 in a pack of 25.  (eGerber, of course, also has the 914M2 in a pack of 50).

The benefit of eGerber is the mylar is UV resistant.  Are the Bags Unlimited and BCW mylar products UV resistant as well?  I suppose if I got the 9x14 1/4 sized bags, at least I could use the majority of bags for my collection of graded books.  Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way of storing a few pieces.  (I used to just frame everything, but the cost of frames and museum acrylic is just becoming too much, especially since the amount of wall space away from direct sunlight is limited.)

On 8/3/2022 at 2:18 AM, ExNihilo said:

Piggybacking off this post, I've been going back and forth on the best way to present some OA (9x12).  I love what @GreatEscape did with their collection, but I only have 4 pieces and really don't see myself growing out my OA commissions pieces much more than that.  What I'd like to do is place the art in a mylar bag and then display it in a floating frame (an idea I saw elsewhere on these boards).  This would allow me to easily change out the art and alternate between the 4 pieces every so often.  I think GE was able to achieve such low costs per piece because of the large number of art in their collection.  The problem I'm seeing is that eGerber offers a 950M2, but in a pack of 50 which means most of it will just go unused.  There is a 950R available in quantities of 10, but these have no flaps so it sounds like the top just remains open(?)  I guess not an issue when pressed between the glass of the floating frame.  However, I don't see that product online anywhere but eGerber (which requires a $100 minimum order).  Bags Unlimited sells a pack of 25.  BCW's closest product is the Graded Comic Mylar measuring in at 9x14 1/4 in a pack of 25.  (eGerber, of course, also has the 914M2 in a pack of 50).

The benefit of eGerber is the mylar is UV resistant.  Are the Bags Unlimited and BCW mylar products UV resistant as well?  I suppose if I got the 9x14 1/4 sized bags, at least I could use the majority of bags for my collection of graded books.  Just trying to figure out the most cost effective way of storing a few pieces.  (I used to just frame everything, but the cost of frames and museum acrylic is just becoming too much, especially since the amount of wall space away from direct sunlight is limited.)

Firstly, do you even know if eGerber has the product you want in stock? Through the pandemic, I called every other month and they simply didn't have the supplies to create those same bags that @Great Escape recommended. Hell, I reached out to Dino and bought some bags from him! In any case, it's kind of a pain in the to order from them. 

eGerber has a special mylar that has some injection that makes it UV resistant. I can't vouch for the other brands. However, the ARCHIVES bags from eGerber are 4mil, and that is THICK, which means any folds you have in the bag are going to be pretty hard to work with if you plan on putting it in some sort of frame, which I personally loathe (who the hell puts art in mylar before framing?). Also, mylar is glossy, which isn't an issue for storage or for quickly rummaging through your collection, but for something framed and on the wall, it makes for an inferior viewing experience.

Your Turner/Lee piece is wonderful and deserves a proper framing job. Just store the rest in a small portfolio.

On 8/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, aqn83 said:

Firstly, do you even know if eGerber has the product you want in stock? Through the pandemic, I called every other month and they simply didn't have the supplies to create those same bags that @Great Escape recommended. Hell, I reached out to Dino and bought some bags from him! In any case, it's kind of a pain in the to order from them. 

eGerber has a special mylar that has some injection that makes it UV resistant. I can't vouch for the other brands. However, the ARCHIVES bags from eGerber are 4mil, and that is THICK, which means any folds you have in the bag are going to be pretty hard to work with if you plan on putting it in some sort of frame, which I personally loathe (who the hell puts art in mylar before framing?). Also, mylar is glossy, which isn't an issue for storage or for quickly rummaging through your collection, but for something framed and on the wall, it makes for an inferior viewing experience.

Your Turner/Lee piece is wonderful and deserves a proper framing job. Just store the rest in a small portfolio.

I didn't even think about availability.  I had seen others report that eGerber estimated delivery to be 10 weeks so I assumed that applied to anything listed on their site.  Didn't even occur to me that they just wouldn't be available.  Some of those bags are available on Amazon or eBay, but obviously at a premium.

As for the mylar in the frame, I had three reasons for it: 1) it allows ease of access to swap out art to change things up, 2) to prevent the art from coming in contact with the glass, 3) the UV benefit of eGerber mylar without having to buy museum acrylic.  It's not as nice as a proper frame with mat boards, but I've spent a decent amount of money framing the few pieces I do have and was trying to minimize costs this time around, especially as available wall space decreases.  I have considered an Itoya Profolio and leaving it on the coffee table for guests to flip through, but I can't see myself filling up all 24 pages (48 if front to back) any time soon.

Also, the Turner/Lee piece is already in a frame behind UV resistant acrylic.  I haven't quite figured out where I want to mount it long term, but for now, it has a temporary spot where I walk past it every day.  :x