• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm new and completely confused about grading fees and signatures. Any help would be appreciated

6 posts in this topic

Greetings, all - 

I am attempting to get my original 4 part comic of the Crow graded and a couple of other comics.

My questions are :

As far as the 'tier grading' system goes. How do I know if i choose the $24 fee or $80? It says $24 is for 'valued at under 400' but I still don't get it. You get your comic graded at a grading number not a value. So if I think the value of the comic is $200 pre-grading then I choose the $24 option? 

Bigger question - My 1st comic is signed . But it's in the inner flap. Since all seriously graded comics I see are 'slabbed' , then how would they possibly showcase that it's signed if it's inside? 

Thanks for any help

Being a relative newbie who has never submitted myself, my answer is probably useless, but if I've picked up anything from snooping around here for the past few months, then I think the answer to your first question is yes, you would choose the tier for your estimated value of the book.

The answer to your second question is that as far as CGC is concerned, your comic isn't "signed" because they didn't witness the signature.  Your comic has "<insert name here> written on inner flap in marker" or something like that.  It would be graded like any other comic with writing on the inner flap, and it may be noted as a defect on the label or in the grader's notes, if any are supplied.  If you want to ever see the signature again after encapsulation, you will probably want to take a picture of it before submitting.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 7/8/2022 at 12:38 PM, Midcall said:

Those are really insurance values. Would you be happy receiving $200 for the book if the PO destroys it?

Yeah... the PO... and nobody else. :shiftyeyes: