• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Strange Tales 126
3 3

13 posts in this topic

I finished logging the averaged feedback on past posts into my spreadsheet of gradable comics (yes, I have a spreadsheet), so I'm going to throw another one out tonight that's been bothering me. I do appreciate all the feedback. I've moved things up, down, on to and out of the list based on it.

So, I file this one under "the COVID pandemic did funny things to my perception of time." I pulled this out thinking I had gotten it within the last year or so when Clea rumors started floating around during Dr. Strange II production. After further investigation, I definitely bought it pre-2020, so like decades ago? I really don't know what was 3 years ago, and what was 30. The elephant in the room with this book is the staining on the top corner on both sides of the cover. There's been a lot of back and forth on this and IDK if I've ever heard a clear answer on who amenable a stain like this is to cleaning, at least to make it present better. Knowing about the stain, I briefly entertained tracking down another copy and upgrading. Maybe someday if speculators lose interest, but listings I can find right now are either for garbage copies and/or insane prices.

ST126.jpg

ST126-a.jpg

ST126-b.jpg

ST126-c.jpg

ST126-d.jpg

ST126-e.jpg

ST126-f.jpg

ST126-g.jpg

ST126-h.jpg

On 7/7/2022 at 8:03 PM, scburdet said:

I really don't know what was 3 years ago, and what was 30.

PAhNPpT.gif.a4ac1ce7cbd77250af3480d8f2658450.gif

Me too.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by grendelbo

Yeah @Galen130 there's a lesser, but noticeable discoloration on the inner pages unfortunately.

@BSC249 I watched that exact video a week or 2 ago. I'm a chemist by training and did my fair share of work with hazardous, volatile and otherwise sensitive stuff in my days before becoming mostly a desk jockey and IDK if I'm brave enough to start squirting DI water on my comics. I haven't watch the whole series, but I assume you have to do a pressing at some point to get the covers back to flat.

On 7/11/2022 at 4:07 PM, scburdet said:

@BSC249 I watched that exact video a week or 2 ago. I'm a chemist by training and did my fair share of work with hazardous, volatile and otherwise sensitive stuff in my days before becoming mostly a desk jockey and IDK if I'm brave enough to start squirting DI water on my comics. I haven't watch the whole series, but I assume you have to do a pressing at some point to get the covers back to flat.

Considering the time and some of the setups these guys have, not something I would try either.  I plan on sending a couple books out to a "professional," are they considered professionals, before submitting for grading.  Seen to many disappointments, not too mention ridiculous time extensions for people who ask CGC to do it before grading.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:12 PM, BSC249 said:

Considering the time and some of the setups these guys have, not something I would try either.  I plan on sending a couple books out to a "professional," are they considered professionals, before submitting for grading.  Seen to many disappointments, not too mention ridiculous time extensions for people who ask CGC to do it before grading.

I've had pretty good luck with my guy. The first batch were in a 6 week backlog, but he turned over the next batch quickly having caught up https://tosscomics.com/ is a bit of a hike from Queens, but he might take a reasonable amount of work by mail. Just as long as you don't create a backlog that slows my C&P down! He hasn't taken on a really tough case yet IMO, but he did get an extra 1.0 over what I was expecting on my Hulk181 and ASM129, so I can't complain.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:03 PM, scburdet said:

I've had pretty good luck with my guy. The first batch were in a 6 week backlog, but he turned over the next batch quickly having caught up https://tosscomics.com/ is a bit of a hike from Queens, but he might take a reasonable amount of work by mail. Just as long as you don't create a backlog that slows my C&P down! He hasn't taken on a really tough case yet IMO, but he did get an extra 1.0 over what I was expecting on my Hulk181 and ASM129, so I can't complain.

That's perfect.  I could even drop off a few at some point on my way to NH.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind moving a couple up to the head of the line so I could grab them on my return trip!  :bump:

My profile still says Queens eh? Thought I changed that, I'm even further out on the Island now in Lake Ronkonkoma.  HAD to get outta the city :)