• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men #94
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an Xmen #94 with a piece of tape adhering to two interior story pages.  The tape seems to be old and sticky and not allowing any give.

Does anyone know if there a way to remove the tape without damaging the comic?

And what is the grade of the comic in this condition?

Thank you in advance for your advice and recommendations!

IMG_9138.jpg

IMG_9139.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9141.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

I could see pressing getting rid of some or most of the wrinkling on the back, so I'd predict 6.0-7.0 depending on how that went. The tape here is an issue b/c it appears to be between story pages (i.e. if it was two pages of ads, it might be viewed less harshly. I would not try to remove it. I've looked around at methods for price tag removal and I haven't seen a method that wouldn't damage the print and/or paper. Can't see how it's stuck (scotch tape?), but if it was a loop and you could cut it, so you could turn the pages even if it was on the paper, that might be nice. Some professional comic restorer might have a method, but I can't see how dissolving the adhesive can be done without making the ink run. Even though it's a pricey key book, I don't know that it has enough value to warrant a significant expenditure to fix the problem. I can see everything from a 1.0 point deduction to a green label. Or you could get really lucky. My 94 had an advertisement cut out of it, and it's not mentioned in the graders' notes, so you could roll the dice.

Edited by scburdet

Thank you for your input!

The effect of the tape is like a glue between 2 newsprint story pages.   On newsprint, that seems like a permanent condition.  I would have thought this affects the books value tremendously because it cannot be read. 

If I offer this for sale as-is, would it be fair to ask for 5.0 raw FMV?  And after press, ask for maybe 6.0 FMV?  In both cases, the interior story pages will still be stuck together.

On 7/8/2022 at 6:13 PM, Pukie said:

Thank you for your input!

The effect of the tape is like a glue between 2 newsprint story pages.   On newsprint, that seems like a permanent condition.  I would have thought this affects the books value tremendously because it cannot be read. 

If I offer this for sale as-is, would it be fair to ask for 5.0 raw FMV?  And after press, ask for maybe 6.0 FMV?  In both cases, the interior story pages will still be stuck together.

I've seen raw books listed as "qualified ______" along with a description of the defect. I bought my 94 with the seller disclosing some cover color touch and I was OK with that b/c I just wanted a nice looking copy to finish my modern X-Men run (if you have a taped GS X-Men 1 too, I'm listening). The seller missed the clipping too, but was good enough to make a partial refund. I think transparency is the key thing when selling a book with a significant defect. I know have a 6.5 restored XM94 signed by Claremont, and I'm quite happy with the investment. Now, it should have a qualified description of the clipping on the label or in the notes, but that's only a problem if someone in my family sells it down the road and doesn't know about it, and then the buyer cracks the case open.

I think the book's 5.0-ish as is. So long as there's no staining (sus parts of the back cover I just can't tell with certainty) it'll probably press to a 6.0.

I don't think the interior tape will impact the grade in this range (VF). Normally I'd say leave the tape be but if it can be cut or removed without damaging the pages, do it.

Thanks for posting.