• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sandman 8
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Sry guys, issues with my pics and in my haste I only see editing, not deleting.

Pics added - Really Sry again.

Submitted for your review is my damaged copy of Sandman 8... You will notice upon a cursory viewing the book looks very nice.  A little closer inspection and you will notice the very light wear around the corners on the spine.  Staples are tight, pages are white and it has 2 almost imperceptible spine ticks.  However, the major problem are 4 small dents in the cover. All dents are less than 1/4" You should easily pic out 3 from the 2nd pic. The dent on her neck (not a hickey lol) does, ever so lightly, break color if you look at it from the correct angle, which I've shown...

What type of grade could this get?  Also, if you don't mind, would you bother grading this book?

ps: I'm using a onedrive link for the pics. Let me know if I need to change this for future inquiries. :)

Edited by BSC249
user error...

On 7/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, scburdet said:

Attaching images of appropriate file type would be much better. Almost all the images when I clicked the links were the same perspective on the back edge.

Sorry, I saw it immediately and trying to fix...

Much better. I haven't been in this forum for that long, so don't take my word as gospel. I see the top front cover corner and the cover imperfections. I would set this at an 8.5±0.5 where coming in at 8.0 is more likely. Recent sales put this at $120-160. This would not be in my get it graded pile b/c the expense ($24 + shipping if you don't go through an authorized dealer) is not the right ROI in my mind. Of course, the book could get hot and jump in price with the TV show, or there could be other personal reasons to consider it. I hope to be collecting for a few more decades, but I'm old enough to at least consider what will be the easiest thing for someone to do if they inherit my collection. If your plan is to sell this, I would sell it raw. If you want a good graded copy, I would be inclined to find one at a reasonable price and sell this one, perhaps waiting for the TV show to drive up prices. That's my 2¢

On 7/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, scburdet said:

Much better. I haven't been in this forum for that long, so don't take my word as gospel. I see the top front cover corner and the cover imperfections. I would set this at an 8.5±0.5 where coming in at 8.0 is more likely. Recent sales put this at $120-160. This would not be in my get it graded pile b/c the expense ($24 + shipping if you don't go through an authorized dealer) is not the right ROI in my mind. Of course, the book could get hot and jump in price with the TV show, or there could be other personal reasons to consider it. I hope to be collecting for a few more decades, but I'm old enough to at least consider what will be the easiest thing for someone to do if they inherit my collection. If your plan is to sell this, I would sell it raw. If you want a good graded copy, I would be inclined to find one at a reasonable price and sell this one, perhaps waiting for the TV show to drive up prices. That's my 2¢

TY - All opinions are greatly appreciated. As a long time collector but new member to not only this forum but serious grading in general, I'm learning a lot over the past few months.  I've always known this book had these flaws but always hoped I could get even an 8.0 for the book once I noticed them... which I'm not sure about.

Either way, unfortunately I do agree, if I wanted a nicer copy, I should sell it raw, being sure to note flaws I've outlined here, I'm not the type of guy to hide flaws.  Just a little disappointed I didn't catch those in my younger days when purchasing the book.  It was the last one in the complete series I was able to get. Then again, in those days, I was more concerned with getting books on the cheap :)

On 7/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, BSC249 said:

TY - All opinions are greatly appreciated. As a long time collector but new member to not only this forum but serious grading in general, I'm learning a lot over the past few months.  I've always known this book had these flaws but always hoped I could get even an 8.0 for the book once I noticed them... which I'm not sure about.

Either way, unfortunately I do agree, if I wanted a nicer copy, I should sell it raw, being sure to note flaws I've outlined here, I'm not the type of guy to hide flaws.  Just a little disappointed I didn't catch those in my younger days when purchasing the book.  It was the last one in the complete series I was able to get. Then again, in those days, I was more concerned with getting books on the cheap :)

I hear you about finding flaws well down the road. I will frequently cite a copy of Iron Fist 14 that I bought years ago when I was still on a student budget. A great looking copy. I sent it for grading recently and was disappointed (but not too much b/c it still looks quite nice) to get hammered on some staining that I barely noted before that's quite light and mostly on the back cover. I could have went shopping for a better copy in the 20 years or so in between when it was still somewhat affordable, but I didn't know the true grade. Now, I can't really seeing putting in the $$$ to buy a high grade copy anymore.

7.5/8.0

Those dents look deep enough that they may not press fully out.

C&P for 8.5-ish.

On 7/8/2022 at 7:39 PM, scburdet said:

I hear you about finding flaws well down the road. I will frequently cite a copy of Iron Fist 14 that I bought years ago when I was still on a student budget. A great looking copy. I sent it for grading recently and was disappointed (but not too much b/c it still looks quite nice) to get hammered on some staining that I barely noted before that's quite light and mostly on the back cover. I could have went shopping for a better copy in the 20 years or so in between when it was still somewhat affordable, but I didn't know the true grade. Now, I can't really seeing putting in the $$$ to buy a high grade copy anymore.

Generally during my heavy collecting phases when I found a book I didn't think about upgrading. I believe in regional scarcity and finding key books in New Mexico in the 80s and 90s was difficult and required a lot of luck. I learned early to be happy with any condition. Move on to the next find.

I have two copies of this book. I hadn't looked at them in years until just last week. One copy is an 8.5/9.0. The second looks great but has significant water damage. I didn't remember this but it was a duplicate copy I stumbled upon for probably five bucks. Oh well, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Thanks for posting.

Thx guys for the reviews!

@grendelbo Regional Scarcity - love it!  While not really knowing it at the time, I had my own way of dealing with it. I started collecting during college in the late 80's in NH. Family in upstate NY, girlfriend from NYC and lived in MA after college. During all those constant road trips, my favorite past-time on the road was picking a random town, finding a phone book and calling the local comic shop for directions! Remember: no GPS or cell phones, just my good buddy Rand McNally and a phone booth :)

On 7/8/2022 at 9:39 PM, scburdet said:

Yea, I feel the same myself.  Some of the prices on books are just crazy now.  Next week I'll be posting my favorite book Fantastic4 48, I think its about a 5 but I just want some 2nd opinions before I send it in for grading. However, I always kick myself because back in the early 90's I always had my eye on a VF/NM copy of that book in my local shop for $250 back then, but never pulled the trigger... What a Dumb Arse! LOL

On 7/9/2022 at 3:06 AM, grendelbo said:

7.5/8.0

Those dents look deep enough that they may not press fully out.

C&P for 8.5-ish.

Generally during my heavy collecting phases when I found a book I didn't think about upgrading. I believe in regional scarcity and finding key books in New Mexico in the 80s and 90s was difficult and required a lot of luck. I learned early to be happy with any condition. Move on to the next find.

I have two copies of this book. I hadn't looked at them in years until just last week. One copy is an 8.5/9.0. The second looks great but has significant water damage. I didn't remember this but it was a duplicate copy I stumbled upon for probably five bucks. Oh well, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Thanks for posting.

I guess it depends what part of NM you were in, but I will take the Pepsi challenge with you and @BSC249 any day of the week on scarcity. I'm fairly certain I bought every worthwhile back issue at the 2 comic shops in Charleston, WV (the closest city to me) in the late 80s & early 90s. One was a fairly new business w/o much inventory (also a doll shop) and the other was a 2ndary location for a store in Huntington, which was well outside a teenager's authorized driving distance. Both still exist, although the latter is only the main store now. Even though some of these books are not, and were never, the best grade, it meant having access to the stories & art. The low grade Marvel Spotlight 5 I posted a while back came from that 2nd store. Still have it and in some ways has more meaning than the upgrade. Even a book with dings reads pretty well.

That's a nice book. I would mark it on 7.8/10. Comic books are the only ones which I buy on paper. All my education at the university was on the internet. Info for my abstracts was from web sources as https://paperap.com/free-papers/henry-david-thoreau/ (it helped me a lot because there is no "search" button in printed books). Your book is in nice condition.

Edited by cletchfootman