• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in Amazing Spider-man 78
3 3

14 posts in this topic

I was poking around for Romita Jr. books for the recently announced signing and somehow I came across the creator credit for a 13-year-old JRJR. It seems like it was the name, not the character design, but it does appear to be the first time he "worked" for Marvel. Some obvious condition issues on the top left of the cover and a water stain on the corners. Would it be gimmicky to get a JRJR signature on this book? I can't imagine that someone hasn't thought of this before, but I haven't found an example yet. 

20220709_222836.jpg

20220709_222916.jpg

20220709_222924.jpg

20220709_222931.jpg

20220709_222937.jpg

20220709_222946.jpg

20220709_223040.jpg

20220709_223057.jpg

20220709_223213.jpg

Edited by scburdet

DeFalco, Tom; Gilbert, Laura, ed. (2008). "1960s". Marvel Chronicle A Year by Year History. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 139. Future Marvel artist John Romita Jr. – who was thirteen years old at the time- came up with a character called the Prowler and sent a drawing to Stan Lee.

5.5/6.0

There's 95 Signature Series copies of this issue on the census. Looks like most must be signed by Sr. and Stan because I too couldn't find one signed by JRJR. It's a great idea!

Thanks for posting.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, grendelbo said:

DeFalco, Tom; Gilbert, Laura, ed. (2008). "1960s". Marvel Chronicle A Year by Year History. London, United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. p. 139. Future Marvel artist John Romita Jr. – who was thirteen years old at the time- came up with a character called the Prowler and sent a drawing to Stan Lee.

5.5/6.0

There's 95 Signature Series copies of this issue on the census. Looks like most must be signed by Sr. and Stan because I too couldn't find one signed by JRJR. It's a great idea!

Thanks for posting.

Thanks. I might do it at least for the history/novelty. I balked a little when I found the stain, which I didn't really notice until I was examining the photos. I guess my old eyes need enlarged photos to see this stuff now. I found a rather obvious crease on the back cover of an X-Men 96 (otherwise as sharp a comic from that era as I have) that I missed on visual inspect until I spotted it in the photo and went back and looked again doh!

I don't see why you can't get his sig on that book.  I have an Action Comics #1000 variant that is signed by George Perez and others.  He and a couple other artists had initial ideas for the comic, but I haven't found George having any actual direct contributions to the variant that he signed. (shrug)

On 7/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, Galen130 said:

by George Perez

Thanks. Sounds like a great book for your collection. I was lamenting yesterday about missing out on the last chance to have his sig on an Astonishing Tales 25. Definitely, the least tragic part of that situation, but retroactively realizing that I missed out on many opportunities to immortalize the contributions of so many great writers and artists who molded my love of this hobby. Of course, you can buy sig books, but that's nothing like taking something that has sentimental value out of your collection to have a creator sign it.

Since I've solicited opinions on so many books, my turnaround time on sending things to CGC is going to rival their pressing/grading schedules. For anyone who's interested, I will make notations when I send something in. This one goes in the mail tomorrow headed to the JRJR in-house signing. 🤞 that they totally miss the water stain. I guestimate this will be back around December. Thanks for all your input!

toy story claw machine GIF

Here it is. Everyone was close or spot on. I'm certain the cover staining is what dictated the grade. Fortunately, it's not that noticeable unless you're inspecting it. I can't kind equate this grade (which seems accurate) with the Iron Fist 14 that also got a 5.5, sent before I knew how much CGC hated stains. IF14 has a small stain on the front & light staining on one edge of the back, but the ASM has at least equivalent staining and some other conditions issues (shrug)

I could have sworn that I made the window for the signature above Spidey's back, but it's nice. With all the mundane stuff that CGC puts on some labels, I do not understand why JRJR's first comic credit of any kind is not mentioned. 

PXL_20221208_184124327.jpg

On 12/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, scburdet said:

Here it is. Everyone was close or spot on. I'm certain the cover staining is what dictated the grade. Fortunately, it's not that noticeable unless you're inspecting it. I can't kind equate this grade (which seems accurate) with the Iron Fist 14 that also got a 5.5, sent before I knew how much CGC hated stains. IF14 has a small stain on the front & light staining on one edge of the back, but the ASM has at least equivalent staining and some other conditions issues (shrug)

I could have sworn that I made the window for the signature above Spidey's back, but it's nice. With all the mundane stuff that CGC puts on some labels, I do not understand why JRJR's first comic credit of any kind is not mentioned. 

PXL_20221208_184124327.jpg

The yellow label works well with this cover. Slab looks great!