• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Batman 125
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Hello! I'm new to collecting and received a box of silver DC comics from my dad. I have a range of books that are in similar to Batman 125 here up to very good shape. I'm still learning the ropes on grading and would love some pointers.

This book has all pages intact but have a fair amount of tanning but are otherwise in good shape. The cover is detached on the bottom staple and there is staining on the back cover similar to what is on the front.

I'm guesstimating a 2.0 but would love some insights

20220606_190437.jpg

20220606_190447.jpg

20220606_190516.jpg

You might be underselling a little. Obviously, there are a lot of stress marks, a few scuffs and some edge wear. But from what I can see, there are no tears (and assume there are no problems with internal pages). The staple detachment (as discussed for several books lately), probably isn't a big penalty at the low grades. The staining is going to be the deciding factor on where this lands in the G/VG range. I might start at a 2.5 and a good C&P *might* improve the appearance enough to guarantee the 2.5 or stretch to a 3.0. Now, is the expense of a C&P & grading a worthwhile investment? There's a CGC 4.0 for sale on ebay right now for $165. The raw price for this book in this condition is probably <$50 and if CGC C&P'd & graded it would cost you $60 just for the service, so I would expect no better than breaking even if you sold it since you would get some bump in price for being slabbed.

2.0/2.5

On 7/11/2022 at 11:20 PM, Reesepieces said:

Hello! I'm new to collecting and received a box of silver DC comics from my dad

Reminds me slightly of an encounter I had today. Young cashier at Dollar Tree commented on my Superman t-shirt. He said he got a bunch of old Superman comics from his dad. A bunch from the 60s and 70s. Told me they're worth some money. I was about to engage him in conversation then he said, yeah really rare and valuable. Like the first appearance of Doomsday. They're all in platinum cases and such.

I paid for my ramen and cat food and left.

Anyways. Welcome to the boards. Thanks for posting.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, grendelbo said:

2.0/2.5

Reminds me slightly of an encounter I had today. Young cashier at Dollar Tree commented on my Superman t-shirt. He said he got a bunch of old Superman comics from his dad. A bunch from the 60s and 70s. Told me they're worth some money. I was about to engage him in conversation then he said, yeah really rare and valuable. Like the first appearance of Doomsday. They're all in platinum cases and such.

I paid for my ramen and cat food and left.

Anyways. Welcome to the boards. Thanks for posting.

Apparently Dads were not always the best at comic investment and care. TBF, I would have loved if my dad (or mom) had a stash of comics they had growing up, regardless of condition, so I could have seen what kind of things they liked. That's something that doesn't need a grade to have value. As far as I know my dad had no comics and given his parents had s-tons of old Nat Geos, Life, etc. magazines, it wasn't b/c they got tossed. My dad was mostly into model cars & probably would have liked one of his boys to share that interest.

Thanks for the info!!! That was really helpful on what to look for on someone of these lower grade books. It's been a lot of fun getting everything bagged and boarded and organized. Here are a few links to some of the Batman books he had if you care to take a look for fun:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rvkZYyY

https://imgur.com/gallery/eV8mySk

https://imgur.com/gallery/Rp51e6E

The box ended up with around 130 books all DC, mostly superman and Batman, I would have killed for some Marvel books as an X-men and Spiderman fan myself but I've been having a blast with these.