• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Press and Pray game ..... defiantly lost this round
4 4

49 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2022 at 7:08 PM, Sand1man said:

Incorrent.  During my phone call, CGC remarked "tape pulled from cover" and that the matter will be investigated.  Nevertheless - there never was any tape in the 1st place.

I see. Is it possible the agent was just saying the same thing in their own way? I'm not doubting what was said, I just imagine they were looking at the same info you had. Regardless, if you happen to have a scan or photo of the slab I would love to check it out for the area they might be referencing.

Also, you've probably seen enough slabs to have a good chance at the summer grading contest, I think there's still room? 🥳

Just a follow up here.  This is not a case of tape being on a book, then removed, and the cover losing some ink.  This is a case of tape being on the book when received amd removed by the grader.  Apparently, CGC has photos of submissions and can "see" if a book was damaged or not - which - is why an investigattion was to be conducted.  The pre-graded book and post-graded book looked exactly the same!  No tape.  They, CGC, were at a lost as to why the grader even made the remark....as was I !

KirbyTown - "Regardless, if you happen to have a scan or photo of the slab I would love to check it out for the area they might be referencing."

There's nothing to post.  CGC and I agree - the pre-graded book and post-graded book look "exactly" the same - posting a photo of a book that had no tape on (ever) does nothing.  The question is, why did the grader make the remark at all?

David I'm done.  I'll start my own thread on this if required.  But hang in there, hopefully things will turn-around for you in the future!

On 7/17/2022 at 5:08 PM, Sand1man said:

Incorrent.  During my phone call, CGC remarked "tape pulled from cover" and that the matter will be investigated.  Nevertheless - there never was any tape in the 1st place.

On 7/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, Sand1man said:

Notes.jpg

Just 'cause I feel like.....:deadhorse:... Although the rep said "tape pulled from cover", that's not what the Grader Notes read nor how I would interpret it. First thing that came to mind was if the bag was sealed with tape(?) and when book was removed the tape snagged to bottom of the book. Very common mishap that I'm sure sends shivers down the spines of quite a few collectors upon reading this. Anyway, pretty odd situation. Guessing CGC has the book in hand to review and hopefully it will work out in your favor.

Edited by jokiing

On 7/17/2022 at 7:44 PM, Sand1man said:

The question is, why did the grader make the remark at all?

It's a good question. I suppose the grader could have seen something that looked like missing ink to them and called it tape pull. Is it possible that there were rough areas anywhere on the book that might have been interpreted as missing ink? I'm not doubting what you're describing, I'm trying to answer your question by understanding where a grader may have misinterpreted something.

The "moderate" language in the notes suggests to me that this copy may have had numerous small defects; is that the case? Can you share the grade?

On 7/18/2022 at 7:02 AM, Sand1man said:

Thank you for your interest !!!  I've over-extended my welcome here - this is David's thread.  I'll consider starting a new one!

Ok, please post a link here if you do 👍