• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Spotlight 32
3 3

10 posts in this topic

I've been leery of posting multiple comics per day b/c I don't want to abuse the good people who help out here. I've been having a good discussion with @Eponymous about grading related to his MS32 and I thought it would be helpful to post mine to allow a side-by-side comparison. Once everyone tells me it's not as nice as I'd hoped, it might be instructive. Obviously, it would be great if there were examples of the same book in a bunch of different grades, but IDK how many Spider-Woman stans are out there. I was really into "obscure" 70-80s Marvel titles in the late 90s/early 00s so I picked up the full run of SW books (and Savage She-Hulk, and the Cat, and....). I've always liked this book, and a lot of the Marvel Spotlight series.

MS32.jpg

MS32-a.jpg

MS32-b.jpg

MS32-c.jpg

MS32-d.jpg

MS32-e.jpg

MS32-f.jpg

MS32-in.jpg

Blunted corners w/small color breaking creases, minor spine stress with a few color breaking spine ticks.

IMO...

7.5 VERY FINE- (VF-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:42 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

stains .....something else

There's definitely a bit of discoloration there. For whatever reason, it looks darker in the photos than by naked eye. Maybe it will clean off, maybe not

On 7/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Blunted corners w/small color breaking creases, minor spine stress with a few color breaking spine ticks.

IMO...

7.5 VERY FINE- (VF-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

Curious here: would the "minor creases" of the definition be the "color breaking creases"? I see a lot of reference in people's comments to the latter along the spine, but nothing specifically mentioning them in the grade definitions. TIA.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:31 PM, Eponymous said:

"minor creases"

The CGC grader notes (I think these are now free, so you could find some graded books on ebay or something and try a couple Cert #s to see various reports. Here's one of mine: 3090454725 that is a crease that doesn't break color. Here's another: 4001282001, also not color breaking but creases. Both of these books look very nice. So, there are creases that are noticeable, but don't have the hard white crease where the ink is gone. I can't think of any Cert #s in my books (yet) that have color breaking creases listed. Spine stress that breaks color yes, creases not yet (I'm pretty sure they'll be one soon). Color breaking creases are going to be dealt with more harshly than non-color breaking ones. I think people list what they see and focus on the most impactful flaws. And don't forget finger bends, which, IDK, are listed on the first report I provided but I can see anything. The book literally was never handled outside of the polybag until I sent it to CGC.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:31 PM, Eponymous said:

Curious here: would the "minor creases" of the definition be the "color breaking creases"? I see a lot of reference in people's comments to the latter along the spine, but nothing specifically mentioning them in the grade definitions. TIA.

VF 8.0 - An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. 

This basically means that color breaking creases are allowed on grades below that, however, the number of and severity of the creases/color breaks will determine how much of a hit the book will take considering the overall condition of the book, if the book is a VG 4.0 the color breaking creases do nothing to lower the grade, if you have a color breaking crease on a VF/NM 9.0, how much of a hit does that book take? Grading is not an exact science, there are too many variables to take into consideration, there is no "Black and White in grading, grading is done by humans and certain terms in the grading standards are not specifically detailed such as "some", "a few", "slight", "minor", "moderate", "small accumulation", all of these terms can be defined/viewed differently by different people, including CGC.

When in doubt about a grade always grade lower, if you look at books thru "rose colored glasses" you will always grade higher than what the grade actually is.

The more you practice grading the better you will become at accessing an overall grade with certain defects.

Crease - A fold which causes ink removal usually resulting in a white line. See "Corner Crease" and "Reading Crease."

Corner Crease - Permanent crease located within 1" of a corner. Usually the upper right hand corner or the lower right hand corner.

Reading Creases - Book-length, vertical front cover creases at staples, caused by bending cover over staples. Square-bounds receive these creases by just opening the cover too far to the left.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

91-M-VGAJe-PL.jpg