• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Captain Marvel 29
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Hi all - long time listener, first time caller. Picked this up at a local con this year, a bit confused on the grade - a few copies were at the show, some vendors had copies of this book they said were higher grade but IMO they looked worse. I self-graded using two different tools and got two wildly different grades, so really curious what y'all say. 

I'd also love to hear thoughts on major contributors to the grade. Thanks!

sxSOgq7.jpg

lv6nmGL.jpg

cWoX4fQ.jpg

bczf6gN.jpg

JV1Ubo3.jpg

VPhlLlH.jpg

2YUWzq2.jpg

4gaeao5.jpg

Edited by Gabriel K
messed up image embeds

On 7/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, Gabriel K said:

had copies of this book they said were higher grade but IMO they looked worse

You will hear the phrase "buy the book, not the grade" if you hang out around these forums long enough. We've had a recent example of an Amazing Spider-Man 238 that the front look really nice, but had a big water stain on the back. I have a similar situation with another book. A particular defect may knock down the grade quite a bit, but still leave a very attractive book. The other possibility, of course, is that the sellers didn't know how to grade properly or didn't spend enough time assigning the grade. I'd call this an 8.0 on the front, 5.0 on the back. As others have suggested, the overall grade falls somewhere in between depending on if you could get a lot of the grime off the back. I'd bet topping out at the possibility of 7.5.