• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant Newsstands of Solar, Magnus, Bloodshot, and X-0 seems to be the rarest of all comic production company newsstands....
2 2

37 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2022 at 2:28 AM, The Meta said:

Its a thing, although nobody has said it since the 80s

Usually spoken by the same type of folks who say/write "minty" or "minty fresh". The less I say about that the better 

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, pirog said:

I haven't found any graded ones of the four main valiant titles mentioned above in over a year on ebay. I have found some raw copies but are tough to find in nice condition...As a reference Spawn #1 newsstands are thought to exist in a ratio of 1:100...to make things more challenging to collect newsstands is that they are often in less condition than their direct sales counterparts....I have seen rarity newsstand valiant ratios of 1:300 to their direct sales and some of the late Bloodshot books were printed at around 10,000 copies thus presumably  less than 50 newsstands of some of these late bloodshot issues exist which seems awfully low...try finding some and you will see what im talking about....wanted to see what other fellow valiant fans have encountered...I have almost all valiant books ever produced preunity and post unity in mutiple copies...(they have great stories and great art making for some high collecting quality comic books)...i didn't even know valiant had newsstand until about 6 months ago so I know these things are pretty tough to come by...

No.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, ganni said:

"D" for Direct ? "N" for Newstand?

That's generally the case on MCS, but...

That issue only has one version.

MCS mostly doesn't separate Newsstands in their listings.

It is most often improperly used for enhanced/non-enhanced Directs. Although they have fixed some, there are still many entries that are wrong.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, valiantman said:

I think Valiant newsstands are a situation like 7-Up Gold.

It's a weird comparison, I know, but I remember seeing cans of 7-Up Gold in the grocery store in the late 1980s.  It was 7-Up (cola) with coloring like a regular Coke or Pepsi. They kept selling regular 7-Up also, so the "direct editions" of 7-Up never stopped, they just experimented with the 7-Up Gold variety.

Every store in my little hometown had at least a few six-packs, so there were dozens in my town, and thousands in my state. It wasn't rare. Probably at least a half-million cans were made, but it didn't sell well.

Unsold cans were likely returned for credit and either thrown away or recycled for some other product.

Those who did buy it, tried it, and must not have thought it was great.  So, here we are 30+ years later and an unopened can of 7-Up Gold might sell for $100 on Ebay.  Not because they only made a few hundred, but because only a few hundred may still exist, especially in high grade.

It's likely a few thousand of the Valiant newsstand books were printed, but they didn't sell well in non-comic shops (casual comic buyers didn't know the characters) and those non-comic shops didn't protect their books very well (often treating them like tabloids and junk magazines). Unsold copies were returned for credit and either thrown away or recycled.

Collectibles sometimes have value because they didn't make very many in the first place (such as the manufactured scarcity of today's variants)... and sometimes collectibles have value because they originally made plenty, but they didn't survive (such as Golden Age books). 

Valiant newsstands might be a low number to start with, plus a low survival rate.  That combo makes for a fun collectible, and if it's something important like TMNT #1, it can be huge.  Since we're talking about Valiant newsstands of issues that weren't very important, it's not huge... but it's neat and the difficulty in finding them happened naturally, not as a result of forcing retailers to "buy 100 of something weak to get 1 variant that might be strong".

Our state.  :cheers:

On 7/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, ganni said:

"D" for Direct ? "N" for Newstand?

1229724853_magnus2.thumb.jpg.059c04e9b5211da7287370e9a0edf678.jpg

"N" should be "no coupon" for Magnus #1 - #8.

"D" is probably direct, but there were no newsstands, so it's confusing to mention "D" for direct and "N" for no coupon.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, valiantman said:

How many 7-Up Gold did you stash away? :kidaround:

None because after I left Tierney's trying to find some Valiant books, the same guy that beat me to the Valiants also beat me to the 7-up Gold.  

On 7/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, sd2416 said:
On 7/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, valiantman said:

How many 7-Up Gold did you stash away? :kidaround:

None because after I left Tierney's trying to find some Valiant books, the same guy that beat me to the Valiants also beat me to the 7-up Gold.  

You've got a problem with your time machine.  7-Up Gold was gone before Valiant started. :foryou: