• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round 1
17 17

216 posts in this topic

Man, that Shocking Mystery. I started with 4.5 but that spine just looked *hammered* so went 4.0. Sometimes I'd rather be wrong guessing the grade I think it should be rather than wrong due to overriding that and trying to guess CGC's thinking, if that makes sense.

...Case in point, the Adventure #37. It looked like a decently VGish cover with a hateful spine. I thought CGC would go higher than me so I guessed 2.0. Should've just guessed the grade I thought it was. No hippo bump?  (shrug)

On 7/27/2022 at 7:42 PM, Point Five said:

Man, that Shocking Mystery. I started with 4.5 but that spine just looked *hammered* so went 4.0. Sometimes I'd rather be wrong guessing the grade I think it should be rather than wrong due to overriding that and trying to guess CGC's thinking, if that makes sense.

...Case in point, the Adventure #37. It looked like a decently VGish cover with a hateful spine. I thought CGC would go higher than me so I guessed 2.0. Should've just guessed the grade I thought it was. No hippo bump?  (shrug)

I get it. Ain't no way I was grading that copy higher than a 1.0 with a nearly completely split spine and chews.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:42 PM, Point Five said:

Me too! On that book I was going back and forth "is the cover detached or not?" Thinking it's a 1.5/1.8. Ultimately I wrongly thought the cover must be slightly attached and gave it a GA bump to 2.0. Had I known for sure that it was detached, had I had the book in hand I believe I would have graded it 1.5.

This contest I'm putting a little less thought into it all.

I was making Green Chile Chicken Noodle Soup :luhv: when I looked at the books. I wrote down my first impressions. Came back a half hour later and gave the books a second look then finalized my guesses.

20220727_194652.thumb.jpg.bb6fc74f252cdbb149d6b0ebd0c21f2c.jpg

On 7/27/2022 at 8:53 PM, grendelbo said:

This contest I'm putting a little less thought into it all.

I was making Green Chile Chicken Noodle Soup :luhv: when I looked at the books. I wrote down my first impressions. Came back a half hour later and gave the books a second look then finalized my guesses.

20220727_194652.thumb.jpg.bb6fc74f252cdbb149d6b0ebd0c21f2c.jpg

Love me some green chili stew!!! :cloud9: Nothing like it, and almost no one outside of New Mexico even knows what it is.....

On 7/27/2022 at 9:49 PM, flashlites said:

Me too! On that book I was going back and forth "is the cover detached or not?" Thinking it's a 1.5/1.8. Ultimately I wrongly thought the cover must be slightly attached and gave it a GA bump to 2.0. Had I known for sure that it was detached, had I had the book in hand I believe I would have graded it 1.5.

Yep! +1 to all this. (thumbsu  Ah well.

4 points.

From my notes: lol

Ad Comics 37   1.0  ,  1.5    1.0

SM  4.5, 5.0, 5.5,    5.0

WBN 32    9.2,  9.4,  9.2

Edited by sledgehammer

On 7/27/2022 at 9:26 PM, Superman2006 said:
On 7/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, sledgehammer said:

4 points.

From my notes: lol

Ad Comics 37   1.0  ,  1.5    1.0

SM  4.5, 5.0, 5.5,    5.0

WBN 32    9.2,  9.4,  9.2

I think the ASM was a 7.0 so you got 4 points on it and 1 point on each of the other 2 you listed, for a total of 6 points. Still pretty good.

I didn't say what I graded the ASM.

It was 7.5.

1 Bullseye, and 4 missed b y 1 grade.

4 points.