• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round 1
17 17

216 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2022 at 5:51 PM, kav said:

It's amazing I have to explain this to you.

It's amazing you're allowed to post here at all, but here we are.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:51 PM, kav said:

May i recommend learn how to grade and stop whining?

I wasn't whining, I was discussing what I saw as a CGC grade that's inconsistent with industry grading standards and I gave examples from the most accepted grading guide in the hobby.  I accepted that a lot of people agreed with the 3.5, but noted that the standards in the Overstreet guide don't allow that size of a piece missing in VG-.  

Then you decided to get your panties in a twist because of a light-hearted Big Lebowski reference and here we are.  :slapfight:

But please, it's a nice, late Friday afternoon.  If you are bored and you need someone to keep arguing with, here I am.  :arguing:

On 7/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, FFB said:

I wasn't whining, I was discussing what I saw as a CGC grade that's inconsistent with industry grading standards and I gave examples from the most accepted grading guide in the hobby.  I accepted that a lot of people agreed with the 3.5, but noted that the standards in the Overstreet guide don't allow that size of a piece missing in VG-.  

Then you decided to get your panties in a twist because of a light-hearted Big Lebowski reference and here we are.  :slapfight:

But please, it's a nice, late Friday afternoon.  If you are bored and you need someone to keep arguing with, here I am.  :arguing:

I understand and maybe I was out of line.  But remember this is a contest to guess the CGC grade-not any other grading system.
I apologize.

On 7/29/2022 at 3:57 PM, kav said:

I understand and maybe I was out of line.  But remember this is a contest to guess the CGC grade-not any other grading system.
I apologize.

Maybe you were a little, but long-time board members know that I'm not one to hold a grudge.  I'll argue with you on these boards until we're blue in the face, but if we run into each other at a Forum Dinner, I'll buy you a drink and we'll hug it out like Vikings.  :foryou:  

On 7/29/2022 at 4:00 PM, FFB said:

Maybe you were a little, but long-time board members know that I'm not one to hold a grudge.  I'll argue with you on these boards until we're blue in the face, but if we run into each other at a Forum Dinner, I'll buy you a drink and we'll hug it out like Vikings.  :foryou:  

Sounds good.  You dont seem like a bad sort.  (worship)

On 7/29/2022 at 4:03 PM, kav said:

May be an image of text that says 'Joined February 3, 2004'

(worship)

Jesus, has it really been 18 and a half years since I won that ASM #1 auction from Comic-Keys on ebay and Steve Borock told me to sign up for the boards after telling me it was likely trimmed?  lol

On 7/29/2022 at 4:06 PM, FFB said:

Jesus, has it really been 18 and a half years since I won that ASM #1 auction from Comic-Keys on ebay and Steve Borock told me to sign up for the boards after telling me it was likely trimmed?  lol

was it?????  probably worth more than you paid now even if trimmed tho.
(worship)

On 7/29/2022 at 4:08 PM, kav said:

was it?????  probably worth more than you paid now even if trimmed tho.
(worship)

It was about a VF 8.0 based on the scans.  A trimmed 8.0 sold earlier this year for . . . $10,500.  It would have taken me 18 years to basically break even. :acclaim:

On 7/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, FFB said:

It was about a VF 8.0 based on the scans.  A trimmed 8.0 sold earlier this year for . . . $10,500.  It would have taken me 18 years to basically break even. :acclaim:

:pullhair: Comic-Keys!!!

On 7/29/2022 at 6:13 PM, kav said:

What's with these contest participants that get angry when the CGC grade is revealed? This is a contest to try to guess the CGC grade. Not the grade according to price guide, GAE, Joe Daddy's pricing guide or each individual member's idea of what a grade SHOULD be. If they cannot handle this, maybe this isn't the contest for them. We've all been way off on grades and just shrug and learn from it-that's why people get better at grading after these contests. It's getting annoying man, all the whining.

LOL .... it's funny, because you are whining about other people "whining."  No wonder you find that annoying! :D

On 7/29/2022 at 3:32 PM, kav said:

not at all.  its pretty solid otherwise.  A 1 inch triangle cant drop down like 3 full grade points.  otherwise many 3.5 books would be 0.5s.
It looks like maybe a 5.0 without the piece missing so 1.5 grades deducted for that.
There has to be a steady progression in grade falling per defect.  

Um ... yeah, that's not how grading works.  You don't just count up defects and total the points to get a grade.  You look at the book holistically, and then use defects (or virtues) to refine the overall grade of the book.  Defects have a level, though, and don't let a grade go past that level.

If the defect is singular, as you suggest, then the book could get a green label, with a grade for the book as if that defect did not exist.  Or, it could get a blue label, but at the level defined by the singular defect. 

I've heard there are software programs that add up a list of defects and arrive at a number.  But that's not how professional grading works.  Nor should it be!

On 7/29/2022 at 10:08 PM, Tedsaid said:

LOL .... it's funny, because you are whining about other people "whining."  No wonder you find that annoying! :D

And now youre whining about me whining abt people whining!

On 7/30/2022 at 11:37 AM, kav said:
On 7/29/2022 at 10:08 PM, Tedsaid said:

And now youre whining about me whining abt people whining!

And now I'm-

:pullhair: