• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isom#1 Rippaverse
1 1

202 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2022 at 6:36 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Same here. If there has been $3M+ raised and 41,000+ contributors - that’s an average $84 spent per customer. That seems kinda high. I mean, if one guy spent $20, that means another guy has to spend $144. Or if an LCS is buying copies, they have to be getting wholesale, right?

Seems skewed. I mean, good luck to the guy - but the numbers seem fuzzy to me, so I must be missing something.

This assumes, of course, that the numbers on the website aren't fabricated to make it seem more desirable than it is. If they are fabricated, then the whole "Paypal froze my money" thing could be fabricated to explain why he doesn't have access to the money from those sales.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

On 9/7/2022 at 5:03 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Sad to see all the racism. :frown:

Ok, I'm definitely missing something - is there an issue with the book about racism? Hell, I just thought there were a bunch of crazy numbers being attributed to it.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:30 PM, 'Lorider said:

Or Judas Priest.

I'd buy comics made by the REAL Ripper. He, of course, wasn't Halford - but like Blaze Bayley - he had the unenviable task of stepping into a Metal God's shoes, and I thought he was actually pretty good (I love Blaze era Maiden as well).

On 9/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Ok, I'm definitely missing something - is there an issue with the book about racism? 

This issue is from all of the racist critics of it across social media.

Sad. :frown:

On 9/7/2022 at 10:27 PM, Lord Gemini said:

Riiiiiiight. 🙄

Funny.....I think the same thing after reading your posts. 

And I don't mean just the ones in this thread. 

I mean all of them. :gossip:

It would take a decent number of comics to create a cohesive universe, as is the stated goal, but with these kinds of campaigns, even a single book seems to be months, if not years in the making, along with the additional delays in delivery that often tend to follow.

Beyond that, here's the blurb for the first issue at the website:

"Avery Silman is a common rancher, but that wasn’t always the case. After obtaining some unique abilities, Avery spent a brief stint being a hero under the moniker Isom in the city of Florespark, Texas. Realizing that it wasn’t for him, he walked away from this life. But after responding to a call from his sister, some violent altercations ensue and has Avery reconsidering his approach. What happened? Grab Isom #1 to find out!" 

The above is so amateurishly written, it's imperative that whoever wrote it has nothing to do with the writing of the actual comic, because if so, it won't matter how good the art is. 

On 9/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, jdandns said:

It would take a decent number of comics to create a cohesive universe, as is the stated goal, but with these kinds of campaigns, even a single book seems to be months, if not years in the making, along with the additional delays in delivery that often tend to follow.

Beyond that, here's the blurb for the first issue at the website:

"Avery Silman is a common rancher, but that wasn’t always the case. After obtaining some unique abilities, Avery spent a brief stint being a hero under the moniker Isom in the city of Florespark, Texas. Realizing that it wasn’t for him, he walked away from this life. But after responding to a call from his sister, some violent altercations ensue and has Avery reconsidering his approach. What happened? Grab Isom #1 to find out!" 

The above is so amateurishly written, it's imperative that whoever wrote it has nothing to do with the writing of the actual comic, because if so, it won't matter how good the art is. 

That's one of the things that makes me skeptical about the success. One can see the sample art and see that it's decent enough (professional level, from what we've seen; not entry-level, but not clearly superior work), but there's no indication that the story is going to anything that is a must-read; no amazing concepts as far as I can see. 

Yeah, plus it's his sister who talks him into becoming a hero again? 

Why not his brother

I hate to say it, but it looks like they got to the Rippaverse already.

What does "Isom" stand for anyway? 

Is it "In Service of Man-Hating"?

On 9/7/2022 at 7:52 PM, Domo Arigato said:

This issue is from all of the racist critics of it across social media.

Ok, I'm reading about it now. Figures that the Reddit people are causing the problem. Apparently, artistic and creative expression is only allowed if it follows their rules...

FlakyImportantHawk-size_restricted.gif.0a76e74e9658cd2ad7d0e4f69b291465.gif

They argue that comics as a whole are suffering because of what they perceive as forced diversity on the part of the major publishers, and then collectively provide millions of dollars to a person who has never done comics before simply because he is willing to pander to them the way they claim Marvel and DC are currently pandering to everyone else except them. 

OK, then.

That said, I'll definitely read the first issue with an open mind. 

On 9/8/2022 at 6:25 PM, jdandns said:

They argue that comics as a whole are suffering because of what they perceive as forced diversity on the part of the major publishers, and then collectively provide millions of dollars to a person who has never done comics before simply because he is willing to pander to them the way they claim Marvel and DC are currently pandering to everyone else except them. 

OK, then.

That said, I'll definitely read the first issue with an open mind. 

I'd read it, but no way I'm tossing down $30 or whatever it is from someone with no track record in comics.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Their privilege always rears its ugly head when they see a POC trying to be successful.

Oof, just how much dough are you into this? 

Let us know when you actually get it and how it reads.

So the guy who wants to discriminate against LGBT people is getting discriminated against for being black?

So what, we're supposed to support him for that?

Is this some sort of Ashton Kutcher style Punk'd social experiment?

Some guy with NO comic, and no experience in comics, takes a political stance against LGBT people while pretending not to - raises what looks like about $84 per issue for a book that'll cost $5 at the LCS - claims he can't get the $3 million in money from Paypal - gets discriminated against by Redditt posters - and now wants us to feel sorry for him and contribute money?

Are modern comic book fans and people in general really this dumb? 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:56 AM, jdandns said:

Instead of constantly displaying your ignorance and bias, you should try reading the thread and you would already know the answer to your question.

Then be sure to let us know when you actually do get one of those "open" minds.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:56 AM, jdandns said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the reddit racists' posts are by his own fans as a part of the campaign to drum up controversy and support.

This stinks in every way possible.