• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isom#1 Rippaverse
1 1

202 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2022 at 2:23 AM, jdandns said:

That might be the problem. We have seen this story before. I'd say in what comics (and movies), but I wouldn't want to give them any ideas if they haven't hit those yet. You can't possibly think this is something new. Besides the tired concept trope in the synopsis on the pledge page, even the way that blurb is written is an unfortunately large red flag, or is the basic expectation that proper grammar be used in ad material also something you resent and consider to be unfairly forced on creators?   

The old "we've all seen it everywhere, but I can't tell you where because it's a secret". 

Smart thinking.....better they learn the lesson on their own with only a few million to start off with. 

That way, you can use your billion dollar information to make yourself rich. :idea:

And it looks like I had you pegged wrong from the beginning.......you're the grammer police.  Sorry about that, officer.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/9/2022 at 2:31 AM, jdandns said:

The amount of money invested in something guarantees very little. Movie studios regularly spend hundreds of millions of dollars on movies that turn out to be terrible. I would like to see some sample scripted pages from this book. 

Why........when it's so easy to judge it based on your inherent bias? 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:34 AM, Domo Arigato said:

The old "we've all seen it everywhere, but I can't tell you where because it's a secret". 

Smart thinking.....better they learn the lesson on their own with only a few million to start off with. 

That way, you can use your billion dollar information to make yourself rich. :idea:

And it looks like I had you pegged wrong from the beginning.......you're the grammer police.  Sorry about that, officer.

I'm the spelling police, too, since it's "grammar". No wonder you didn't notice how poorly the synopsis was written.

The people who ponied up the money are much more likely to end up being the side that learns the lesson. Let's see how much it ends up costing them before they do.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:39 AM, jdandns said:

I'm the spelling police, too, since it's "grammar". No wonder you didn't notice how poorly the synopsis was written.

The people who ponied up the money are much more likely to end up being the side that learns the lesson. Let's see how much it ends up costing them before they do.

You see, that's where you and I differ.  Because I realize that everyone makes grammar and spelling mistakes, so I don't make a habit of pointing them out.

Those that do, however, tend to be the pompous, self-righteous types.  So, even after I forgive their spelling and/or grammar mistakes...I'm still left talking to pompous, self-righteous individuals that are incapable of seeing their own massive faults.  Unfortunately, it's a burden I have to bear.

SpellingCop1.thumb.jpg.68c6eab7f8e746661fa5e8895be21e25.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/9/2022 at 2:13 AM, Domo Arigato said:

There's plenty of it going on in here. 

If he sells a lot.....it must be shills.......if there are racist posts.......it must be his own fans drawing up controversy.

The racism and bias on display in here is sad. :frown:

No one in this thread has made any explicit or even implicit suggestion about race, until you started your trolling.

On 9/9/2022 at 2:10 AM, jdandns said:

You haven't kicked in any more money in the meantime? How much in total? 

$35 bucks for a new comic is a lot of money. You could still get 10 regular Marvels for that. 

Or you could buy one of the Milestone Season One hardcovers, and you'll know that you're getting a complete story arc created by POC, and you'll have some money left over for another new comic book.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:46 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Or you could buy one of the Milestone Season One hardcovers, and you'll know that you're getting a complete story arc created by POC, and you'll have some money left over for another new comic book.

I'd drop $35 on a book my friend produced. Anyone else, I'll be waiting for a few more issues.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:01 AM, Dr. Balls said:

This is why I keep going back to re-reading X-Men 94-300. Chris Claremont has done more for diversity and racial understanding in comic books than every numbnut in the media combined. And he did it without rubbing our noses in it. That's masterful writing.

I started reading "X-Men" at about #165, and got the issues going back to #94 (well, #95 anyway) by the time the 200th issued was published. I bought and read it through Claremont's departure and enjoyed the run immensely, but I always felt Chris was pretty well out front with what he was doing the whole time in terms of hoping to encourage a more tolerant world through his plot-lines and characterization. I picked up on it early and often, and to its credit, it stays with me.

If those stories were written today, Chris would certainly be despised as part of the current problem, at least in the minds of these crowd-funded types who insist Marvel and DC are going out of business any day now for daring to address on social injustice in any way, even as those companies continue to combine to publish well over 100 new issues between them each month, along with commissioning scores of new art pieces for their variant covers. 

(It is not lost to me that Claremont has instead, like seemingly anyone who did any of their their work in a different time, ran into some trouble with the here overcompensating "other side". Ultimately, his work speaks for him, and it speaks well.)

On 9/9/2022 at 8:59 AM, jdandns said:

I started reading "X-Men" at about #165, and got the issues going back to #94 (well, #95 anyway) by the time the 200th issued was published. I bought and read it through Claremont's departure and enjoyed the run immensely, but I always felt Chris was pretty well out front with what he was doing the whole time in terms of hoping to encourage a more tolerant world through his plot-lines and characterization. I picked up on it early and often, and to its credit, it stays with me.

If those stories were written today, Chris would certainly be despised as part of the current problem, at least in the minds of these crowd-funded types who insist Marvel and DC are going out of business any day now for daring to address on social injustice in any way, even as those companies continue to combine to publish well over 100 new issues between them each month, along with commissioning scores of new art pieces for their variant covers. 

(It is not lost to me that Claremont has instead, like seemingly anyone who did any of their their work in a different time, ran into some trouble with the here overcompensating "other side". Ultimately, his work speaks for him, and it speaks well.)

My biggest take-away from Claremont's run on X-Men is that he spoke of the difficulties of those who were "different" in a unique, fictional way - allowing the reader to see and understand the side of the "different" people and come to their own conclusions, empathies and sympathies. To me, that's the ultimate form of creative expression - allowing others to come to the conclusion of your point on their own terms, in their own way, but without you hitting them over the head with it. I miss those days.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:26 AM, Dr. Balls said:

My biggest take-away from Claremont's run on X-Men is that he spoke of the difficulties of those who were "different" in a unique, fictional way - allowing the reader to see and understand the side of the "different" people and come to their own conclusions, empathies and sympathies. To me, that's the ultimate form of creative expression - allowing others to come to the conclusion of your point on their own terms, in their own way, but without you hitting them over the head with it. I miss those days.

There were things I liked and didn’t like about Claremont’s style, but geez it would be amazing if anyone who cared about the characters as much as he did and put as much into it as he did were writing for the Big Two today. That guy deserves more legendary status than he gets. 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Prince Namor said:

That guy deserves more legendary status than he gets. 

If comics ever had a Shakespeare - it would be him. 

On 9/9/2022 at 3:44 AM, Domo Arigato said:

You see, that's where you and I differ.  Because I realize that everyone makes grammar and spelling mistakes, so I don't make a habit of pointing them out.

Those that do, however, tend to be the pompous, self-righteous types.  So, even after I forgive their spelling and/or grammar mistakes...I'm still left talking to pompous, self-righteous individuals that are incapable of seeing their own massive faults.  Unfortunately, it's a burden I have to bear.

SpellingCop1.thumb.jpg.68c6eab7f8e746661fa5e8895be21e25.jpg

Yes, massive.

One typo in a wall of text.

It remains true that poor composition of sentences and the words used within in them provide the reader a warning the thoughts behind them may have been arrived at in the same haphazard manner.

I'm done with this thread for now, but I will read the book when it is published, as I said. Another win the Rippaverse!

Thank you, everyone else, for your thoughts on this matter.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, Dr. Balls said:

The $84 per issue Namor is talking about is based on my previous post about the average sale vs total dollars raised. If the dollar amount is accurate, it means that each person would have had to spend an average of $84 per pledge to get to the goal. At the time I posted it, I had zero idea of what it was about or the controversy behind it. The math seemed very suspect in my opinion - that's all I was curious about.

Oh, I knew what he was referring to.  I also knew that you had said an average of $84 per customer had been spent, and that Namor's comment about $84 per issue meant he doesn't really even know what he's talking about.  He's obviously just running on his own bias and lashing out at anything he "perceives" to be something he doesn't like.

Edited by Domo Arigato