• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isom#1 Rippaverse
1 1

202 posts in this topic

On 6/12/2023 at 8:26 PM, Aman619 said:

I dont read todays comics but hav heard about all the stunts they've tried out recently.  Some sound dumb, but they are stunts, geared just to get attention, Anything to drum up sales.

I generally don't get too worked up about the content of my comic book, and who it's geared towards. If it's not something I'm interested in (or I'm not the target audience), I'll put it down and read something different - because you're right: it's generally a gimmick to get people to pick it up in the first place. And let's be honest - doing crazy, outlandish stuff in comics to get people to pick up the book has been around since Golden Age detective and horror comics.

The only stunts I really have a distaste for are the retcons of established heroes suddenly being something they are not. If people want to explore sexuality, prejudice, don't shoe-horn it into a previous character: make your own and go all out!

On 6/13/2023 at 7:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I generally don't get too worked up about the content of my comic book, and who it's geared towards. If it's not something I'm interested in (or I'm not the target audience), I'll put it down and read something different - because you're right: it's generally a gimmick to get people to pick it up in the first place. And let's be honest - doing crazy, outlandish stuff in comics to get people to pick up the book has been around since Golden Age detective and horror comics.

The only stunts I really have a distaste for are the retcons of established heroes suddenly being something they are not. If people want to explore sexuality, prejudice, don't shoe-horn it into a previous character: make your own and go all out!

Yeah. But much bigger bang if it’s Superman. Starting a new character as as (fill in the blank) is immediately intrinsic to the character — and too easily ignored.