• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bounty on GI JOE #21 in 9.8 condition

351 posts in this topic

I just can't believe that none of these people looking for a 9.8 at $1500 wouldn't take the 9.6 for $260. That's absolute stupidity.

Utter insanity. Remove the pretty little labels and I am sure the buyers couldn't tell the difference between the two. I guess this kind of price discrepancy is what happens when you let a company do your thinking for you. screwy.gif

I don't think a company is thinking for these collectors. These collectors are hoping a 9.8 is very rare and they can cash in on it or brag about it. For some, the .02 difference is huge, but it's due to collectors, not a company. If it were that easy, the 9.6 would be higher in value. The value is what people will pay. I agree it's stoopid, but it's not the result of a "company".

What do you mean it's not due to a company? The reason the 9.8 would sell for that much is due to CGC, and last time I checked, CGC is a company. Are you trying to say that if the 9.8 and the 9.6 were raw, a dealer could get away with the difference between those asking prices? The .02 difference is huge because CGC says it is, and collectors care about the label, not the comic.

Im willing to take that chance. Im very confident in my grading abilities. I just want the best possible copy of this book. As a matter of fact, I will/would crack it out of its 9.8 case so we can display it and conserve it the way we choose to. He wouldnt want to ever part with it or any other of his Joes anyways.

As a matter of fact, I will/would crack it out of its 9.8 case so we can display it and conserve it the way we choose to. He wouldnt want to ever part with it or any other of his Joes anyways.

That's what I like to hear! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks OC... we collect the books for fun and not for profit. We would buy land for that!

It's nice to hear that: 1. you crack them out (which implies you care about the book, not the label) and 2. you aren't going to resell them. The high grade game is rife with flippers, investors and speculators. Always good to see that future dollar signs don't interest every person buying big labels.

The .02 difference is huge because CGC says it is, and collectors care about the label, not the comic.

And that's not even opening up the fact that some other grading companies have been found to "artificially limit" 9.8-10.0 grades as a method of ensuring long-term survival.

I'm not slamming them BTW, as it's a killer business stategy that guarantees a nice separation between the 9.4-9.6-9.8-9.9-10 grades, no matter the actual condition of the books.

I cracked out all of our PSA cards too. Professional grading just seems to take the fun out of hobbies. I only buy RAW goods now (unless someone finds a 9.8 before I do of Joe #21). You just have to educate yourself on what you are purchasing and who you purchacing the items from.

Thanks OC... we collect the books for fun and not for profit. We would buy land for that!

It's nice to hear that: 1. you crack them out (which implies you care about the book, not the label) and 2. you aren't going to resell them. The high grade game is rife with flippers, investors and speculators. Always good to see that future dollar signs don't interest every person buying big labels.

The only reason I don't crack out books is because I think I suck at preserving the condition. I'm too tempted to read them. confused-smiley-013.gif

What do you mean it's not due to a company? The reason the 9.8 would sell for that much is due to CGC, and last time I checked, CGC is a company. Are you trying to say that if the 9.8 and the 9.6 were raw, a dealer could get away with the difference between those asking prices? The .02 difference is huge because CGC says it is, and collectors care about the label, not the comic.

That also goes back to collectors confidence in their grading. As you have seen from the responses, some people either don't care or don't get into the market for that .02 difference. CGC plays into those that want the best or want to invest thinking it will pay off. For the collectors who care about the label, then it is a big difference. I don't deny that. However, you make seem like every collector is like that, but they are not.

If a dealer had a HG comic and they sold it raw, then they have to rely on their reputation as a gradder. CGC is selling their reputation as a gradder. If collectors have confidence in that grading, then that .02 difference does carry weight some collectors. CGC is not making people buy those comics nor are they setting the price. If collectors confidence erodes, it doesn't matter if those 9.8 turn into 10, the value of that grade means little.

I suppose you think that drug dealers and tobacco companies hold absolutely no guilt whatsoever, in their production of items that are knowingly consumed by those with a mental and physical predisposition towards it?

Just like Philip Morris knows exactly how to produce cigarettes targeted directly at their end user, so too has CGC been expressly designed to exploit the anal-retentive, ego-depressed, low self-esteem psyche of the hardcore nerd collector.

There is a valid reason why these comics were intially referred to as "CGC Crack".

I suppose you think that drug dealers and tobacco companies hold absolutely no guilt whatsoever, in their production of items that are knowingly consumed by those with a mental and physical predisposition towards it?

Just like Philip Morris knows exactly how to produce cigarettes targeted directly at their end user, so too has CGC been expressly designed to exploit the anal-retentive, ego-depressed, low self-esteem psyche of the hardcore nerd collector.

There is a valid reason why these comics were intially referred to as "CGC Crack".

Comparing CGC to drug dealers/tobacco companies is a not a legitimate comparison. Collecting by it's very nature is anal-retentive. By your defintion, the very business of comic collecting is exploitive.

That also goes back to collectors confidence in their grading. As you have seen from the responses, some people either don't care or don't get into the market for that .02 difference. CGC plays into those that want the best or want to invest thinking it will pay off. For the collectors who care about the label, then it is a big difference. I don't deny that. However, you make seem like every collector is like that, but they are not.

If a dealer had a HG comic and they sold it raw, then they have to rely on their reputation as a gradder. CGC is selling their reputation as a gradder. If collectors have confidence in that grading, then that .02 difference does carry weight some collectors. CGC is not making people buy those comics nor are they setting the price. If collectors confidence erodes, it doesn't matter if those 9.8 turn into 10, the value of that grade means little.

None of what you have said refutes my point that the exorbitant price differences between 9.6s and 9.8s are due to people letting CGC think for them. A collector who truly knows how to grade knows that the differences between a 9.6 and a 9.8 generally depends on what kind of day the grader is having, or who is looking at the book. The differences in condition are far too slight to effectively quantify, and the differences in price between the labels is part of the illusion crafted by CGC. When someone pays 5 or 6 times the price of a 9.6 for a 9.8, they are surrendering their own grading skills and judgment, and letting a company think for them. Like I said, take away the labels and you have two books that are the same. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with buying or collecting 9.8 slabs, but don't try and tell me that people are buying the book and the prices aren't due to CGC and the label.

This is the only book I search for in high grade as I have been looking since college 10 years ago. Last year I got a 9.4 finally and was sooo pissed because I thought I had got a 9.6 or 9.8 it was immaculate. I understand his pain. This book is impossible to find in small conventions and only a few copies are at the larger shows. (At least in the midwest.) Its just become a fun challenge for me as I dont chase any other books for the highest grade thing just this one. Anyone who likes find books for the high grade aspect should take up this challenge. Heck I think if I find a 9.6 Ill quit just to stop the obsession.

Personally this is my favorite book from my childhood. Marvel has never been able to recreate its magic in one issue. Nuff said didnt even come close I think here a few years back. And if by chance you are one of the few who has never read this issue buy a VG copy, sit back and enjoy. Its Hama at his best.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with buying or collecting 9.8 slabs, but don't try and tell me that people are buying the book and the prices aren't due to CGC and the label.

I am not trying to tell you the prices are not due to CGC grading. I am saying CGC does not set the price. Collectors do.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with buying or collecting 9.8 slabs, but don't try and tell me that people are buying the book and the prices aren't due to CGC and the label.

I am not trying to tell you the prices are not due to CGC grading. I am saying CGC does not set the price. Collectors do.

No, CGC doesn't set the price, but the price is a direct result of their actions. It's a pretty fine hair to split, as CGC would be out of business if their involvement wasn't reflected in the price of their slabbed books. It's pretty obvious that CGC has a huge interest in seeing these exorbitant multiples continue.

No, CGC doesn't set the price, but the price is a direct result of their actions. It's a pretty fine hair to split, as CGC would be out of business if their involvement wasn't reflected in the price of their slabbed books. It's pretty obvious that CGC has a huge interest in seeing these exorbitant multiples continue.

I don't deny that.

I don't deny that.

thumbsup2.gif