• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Chamber of Darkness #4
2 2

11 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2022 at 11:39 AM, Eponymous said:

Not at all sure why this appealed to my teenage self.

It may have been the Marie Severin (pencils) / Bill Everett (inks) cover, or perhaps the Jack Kirby and Barry Windsor-Smith stories.  hm  If so, your younger self had extremely good taste!  :headbang:

I collected this, and many other silver/bronze Marvel horror books in the late 90s/early 00s. A lot of them are really great. Some underappreciated stories/art and some reprints of stories that were hard to come by (at least until everything went digital)

I can see this at 8.0±0.5. I see light edgewear and some small spine stress lines. How that grades would have a slight dependence on if some age/era consideration is made. You appear to have some indentations on that back cover corner that would be my biggest cause to pause. IDK how well those would press, but I have a vested interest since I have 3-4 books that have some indentations that don't break color, but are visually obvious. If they can be pressed out, then it ticks toward the higher end of the range.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:22 PM, zzutak said:

It may have been the Marie Severin (pencils) / Bill Everett (inks) cover, or perhaps the Jack Kirby and Barry Windsor-Smith stories.  hm  If so, your younger self had extremely good taste!  :headbang:

Ah, there's also a little Conan trial story at the end, though it's Starr the Slayer, not the Barbarian. That could have been it, too.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:49 PM, Eponymous said:

Ah, there's also a little Conan trial story at the end, though it's Starr the Slayer, not the Barbarian. That could have been it, too.

Bingo. I got a mid-grade copy of this issue this past year, solely for the Conan prototype.

Thanks for sharing.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:40 PM, grendelbo said:

solely for the Conan prototype

I'm glad you posted this book. I doubt that I got it for the Conan prototype specifically b/c I bought the whole CoD run (along with Chamber of Chills and a few others around the same time). I had it separated from the other CoD b/c of its higher value, but forgot why that was. This is the kind of book I should send for signing even if it's not in the highest grade. GoCollect says only 6 sigs exist, 4 in the CGC census. I'd argue Conan might be Roy Thomas's most important contribution to Bronze Age comics and I'll bet he doesn't get this prototype book to sign very often. It would be a cool piece of comics' history to own. Too late for this year, but hopefully he'll have another in-house next year. Yours is definitely a grade or 2 above mine, and you can have the RT signature idea for free 🙂

Edit: one of the SS CoD 4s is up for auction on ebay right now (6.0), which is signed by Stan Lee. There are way too many books out there signed by Stan Lee

Edited by scburdet