• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantasy Masterpieces #1
2 2

8 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2022 at 11:54 AM, Eponymous said:

I'm sure there's a term for this (which I don't know)

These are generally referred to as "squarebound" books.  A common method of binding SA and BA comics having more than 32 interior pages.  The interior pages are held together with staples, and the cover is then attached with glue.  Now you know!   :foryou:

On 7/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, zzutak said:

"squarebound" books

If you scroll through the last 4-6 weeks, you can find several posts of my various square bounds and see the whole catalog of common issues specific to this

binding method.

On 7/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, MrRoboto said:

Whitman variant.

I think this is just the direct edition vs. the newsstand. As far as I can tell, there isn't a Whitman reprint of this book. For a lot of Whitmans the UPC box is blank, or it says "reprint" somewhere. The crossed out UPC is a common direct version before they figured out they could make graphic "UPCs".

I think there's some color rub due to the staples on the cover. This is common in sq. bounds. These some minor edge wear and bends, hopefully the latter can be pressed. I think 8.5±0.5, especially if they treat the color rub with a little bit of square bound leniency. Too bad it's the reprint of you'd be 🤑 for a book in this condition.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, scburdet said:

If you scroll through the last 4-6 weeks, you can find several posts of my various square bounds and see the whole catalog of common issues specific to this

binding method.

I think this is just the direct edition vs. the newsstand. As far as I can tell, there isn't a Whitman reprint of this book. For a lot of Whitmans the UPC box is blank, or it says "reprint" somewhere. The crossed out UPC is a common direct version before they figured out they could make graphic "UPCs".

I think there's some color rub due to the staples on the cover. This is common in sq. bounds. These some minor edge wear and bends, hopefully the latter can be pressed. I think 8.5±0.5, especially if they treat the color rub with a little bit of square bound leniency. Too bad it's the reprint of you'd be 🤑 for a book in this condition.

I strongly believe (from being very active in collecting at that time) you are correct in this being the direct edition

Slight damage to the cover via staples and some edge wear top right an right edge = 8.5. Also, I don't believe this is a Whitman Variant because Marvel has no Whitman Variants in standard sized comics. All Whitmans were actually the 1st direct market editions of that particular comic. (Picked up this information from  John McClure's article on Variants in Overstreet's Guide to Grading Comics (Sixth Edition) and apologies for bringing that up in this thread.