• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Damaged a book that they already damaged... Shocker...
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Yeah you don't reward bad behavior 

I have 75 books that will sit for as long as it takes on my shelf

Lets see how long till this company has the decency to up the standards. 

I'm fine waiting for another company to come along that will respect my books and my business if need be

On 7/28/2022 at 9:34 PM, The Meta said:

Lets see how long till this company has the decency to up the standards. 

I don't think it's something that will recover. The market has shifted to kids pressing modern variants and CGC is making mad money slabbing one book every five seconds or so. Is that's the right calculation on 40,000 slabs a week? Maybe I didn't include lunch.

All hail volume!

Edited by KirbyTown

• Administrator
On 7/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, BlackTerror98 said:
On 7/28/2022 at 12:08 PM, CGC Mike said:

Have you discussed this with CGC?  If you need my help with this, let me know.

I have but they told me that 'these things happen and that CCS is not at fault' and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. So far 2 out of 4  books sent out (All Golden Age mine you have gotten destroyed or damaged). I am debating on just stop sending them books. 

I can't make any promises but, I am going to look into this further for you.

I would imagine that 'these things happen' along with the now infamous 'which we didn't have to do' are not the responses that would be received by certain auction houses, high volume dealers, and prominent collectors.

So why are they screwing over the little guy with that language?

On 7/29/2022 at 8:54 AM, Buzzetta said:

I would imagine that 'these things happen' along with the now infamous 'which we didn't have to do' are not the responses that would be received by certain auction houses, high volume dealers, and prominent collectors.

So why are they screwing over the little guy with that language?

Because Blackstone came along with their fancy "business acumen" and the old theory of "80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers".  As long as CGC is processing tens of thousands of garbage books every week for their small handful of large commercial clients, the rest of us get screwed

This is why people hate sellouts. The previous owners actually cared and were involved in the comic community. Blackstone only cares about turning as much profit as possible 

Edited by Nic8612

On 7/29/2022 at 9:15 AM, Nic8612 said:

Because Blackstone came along with their fancy "business acumen" and the old theory of "80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers".  As long as CGC is processing tens of thousands of garbage books every week for their small handful of large commercial clients, the rest of us get screwed

This is why people hate sellouts. The previous owners actually cared and were involved in the comic community. Blackstone only cares about turning as much profit as possible 

These issues were occurring before the takeover by our glorious and most honorable Blackstone Overlords. 

On 7/29/2022 at 9:24 AM, Buzzetta said:

These issues were occurring before the takeover by our glorious and most honorable Blackstone Overlords. 

Not anything like what we're seeing as of late.  The problem has only been exacerbated 

On 7/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, The Meta said:

And I'm guessing every single person on this forum would sell out for millions of dollars and most likely less

Sell out. :eyeroll:

They were already making millions of dollars just by owning CGC, it's been an extremely profitable company for a long time now or the wouldn't have got the offer that they got.  They also could have very easily sold just enough to retain a controlling share so they could still make sure the company retained it's original goal of providing a valuable service to the community while still pocketing a sizeable chunk of change.  I'm sure a lot of people would have done the same, and yes, those people would also be sellouts.  

I, personally, am from the camp where some things mean more to me than money, especially when the buyer is a large corporation (and double especially when you're already millionaires like the previous owners).  Prime example, I live in a small mountain community where we've all made somewhat of a pact with each other and local realtors to take lesser offers from individual/family buyers if we decide to sell our homes because the surrounding communities are being bought up and ruined by large holding corporations like Blackrock and BlackStone who roll in throwing wads of cash around. If you sell something to either of those companies, you are just greedy and soulless 

• Administrator
On 7/28/2022 at 4:10 PM, BlackTerror98 said:

I have but they told me that 'these things happen and that CCS is not at fault' and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. So far 2 out of 4  books sent out (All Golden Age mine you have gotten destroyed or damaged). I am debating on just stop sending them books. 

What is the serial number on the 4.0 slab?

OP I'm trying to get an idea of what happened here.  Did you send in the Black Terror #3 as a raw book?  Do you have pictures of the book raw?  Did you submit it to CCS before it was graded a 5.0?  Did you get it as a 5.0 and then send it to CCS hoping for a CPR bump?  I pulled the notes on the 4.0... and it reads as a 4.0.  Any chance you have the notes when it was a 5.0 (the cert doesn't show up in the system anymore)?  If you had a loose staple and sent the book in for a press, there is a DARN good chance that is how the staple became detached (pressing mid/low grade GA books is always a gamble).  But those stains and tanning is always going to make that a lower grade book, regardless of any possible new damage caused (if it happened).  

crease right bottom of front cover
spine split bottom of spine
stain top of front cover
staple detached front cover
light stain left bottom of back cover
light stain right bottom of front cover
moderate cover tanning
small piece out center of spine