• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Foil Spawn 1 SDCC 2022 Blank Variant Image Comic LE 1500

5 posts in this topic

Since Todd signed over half of these 1500 print run Gold variants at SDCC, wouldn't that make those all he signed at best graded by CGC  Green Label?
I noticed the Black and White Spawn 1 Variant has 928 Universal and Signature Series. At most, there can be only 750 unsigned copies of the Gold Spawn 1 Variant that can be converted to signature series or universal. Wouldn't these unsigned sketch Gold variants be more rare and valuable in the future?
image.thumb.png.4906855b4c9272cbcc4d42ee02e12331.png

Edited by catch21

On 8/2/2022 at 8:47 AM, cabinboy said:

I saw a number of people having him sign the blanks during his signings, so probably less than 750 unsigned.

I forgot about that. That explains why ebay seems to be flooded with signed ones.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:21 AM, catch21 said:

Since Todd signed over half of these 1500 print run Gold variants at SDCC, wouldn't that make those all he signed at best graded by CGC  Green Label?
I noticed the Black and White Spawn 1 Variant has 928 Universal and Signature Series. At most, there can be only 750 unsigned copies of the Gold Spawn 1 Variant that can be converted to signature series or universal. Wouldn't these unsigned sketch Gold variants be more rare and valuable in the future?
image.thumb.png.4906855b4c9272cbcc4d42ee02e12331.png

In principle, some of the lower grade Universal copies could be signed books that had the signature treated as a defect rather than a Qualifying condition. Also, insert the standard disclaimer about inaccurate census counts due to the crack-and-regrade carousel.

But, the general point stands in that there are almost certainly fewer unsigned copies than signed (one way or another) copies. That's not unique to this book; indeed, there is an increasingly large number of low-print-run variants where the trend to have hot books signed by someone, anyone is quickly exhausting the supply of unsigned copies in general. So far, at least, signed books (generally) trade at a premium -- in part, I imagine, because modern signings are typically not free, so a signed book bakes in additional "cover" price in that sense. It will be interesting to see if that continues over the next 10, 15, 20 years. For my part, I prefer my books unsigned except in cases where no unsigned copies were intentionally released.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:53 AM, Qalyar said:

In principle, some of the lower grade Universal copies could be signed books that had the signature treated as a defect rather than a Qualifying condition. Also, insert the standard disclaimer about inaccurate census counts due to the crack-and-regrade carousel.

But, the general point stands in that there are almost certainly fewer unsigned copies than signed (one way or another) copies. That's not unique to this book; indeed, there is an increasingly large number of low-print-run variants where the trend to have hot books signed by someone, anyone is quickly exhausting the supply of unsigned copies in general. So far, at least, signed books (generally) trade at a premium -- in part, I imagine, because modern signings are typically not free, so a signed book bakes in additional "cover" price in that sense. It will be interesting to see if that continues over the next 10, 15, 20 years. For my part, I prefer my books unsigned except in cases where no unsigned copies were intentionally released.

In the later part of your reply, when you say  "signed"  are you referring to signature series or raw books signed?

Edited by catch21