• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are we are on the cusp of a huge Paradigm shift in this Hobby?

53 posts in this topic

A few things:

- Joseph that was a great post - made me think of Grad school and my head hurt a bit lol but it was well put.

- Sid, ya I know the it doesn't affect me so I really think its not that big a deal statement. sleeping.gif Personally, I don't buy many HG slabs, though I do buy a few. That still doesnt change the fact that I believe CCG with its two pronged policy of PCS and Label changes with an eye to make Friesen's business more profitable, is putting direct imprints on the comics hobby. With that in mind, since I count myself a member of the hobby do I ask, what's going on? Ya I think I should. If you've made the decision that ho hum it doesn't impact me that's fine. But I have serious reservations about what they are planning to do, their reasons for doing them and the overall impact of the fundamental conceptualizations that form the foundation of the hobby. But hey that's just me and maybe I think too much.

- Aces nope paradigm shift isn't a psuedonym for crash - its potentially less and more important. It deals with base terminology, concepts and fundamental ideas that make up the foundation for everything around it.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Eventually, down the road, Sid will be thankful that there were people that took up the slack when he decided to set up a folding chair on the side of the road and watch the caravan go by. Of course he would never be able to acknowledge that, but luckily, we don't need a unanimous vote to take action.

Red

And I'm going to keep pointing out the "Emperor Has No Clothes" factor...that CGC considers pressing neither conservation or or restoration. It's....nothing?

They're also treating dry cleaning the same way. Which I guess is how the schmutz could be cleaned off the spine of the 9.2 Flash 105 before it became a 9.4.

I personally think acceptance of the new labels is simply a matter of having several sell for huge prices in say a ... Heritage Auction. Once people see that they have no downside potential, it will be the new gold rush.

Will it actually happen???

I think so.

This is an interesting comment, and it makes me wonder whether the basis for many of the objections to the new label is that the value of restored/conserved books will increase. If so, why would that bother anyone, except for someone who has been desperately accumulating PLODs in anticipation of a great arbitrage opportunity (which gamble could fail disastrously, which is what I'm predicting)? Do people think that increases in values of formerly-PLODs will automatically result in decreases in the value of BLOUs? If not, how do they think that the new BLODs will harm BLOUs?

isn't most of the PLOD hunting in the realm of golden age stuff and maybe some color touched early silver?

anyway, haven't read this thread, just the last few posts.... oh the frigging drama, it never ends. big words like paradigm and all that. hurting my brain.

This is how I imagine revolutions get started. But seriously I learn something valuable everyday on these boards. Great thread I feel this one is far less regurgitation of past events and more an elaboration of what could be. An excellent read.

A Hulk 159 NM+(9.6) I was watching sold on Heritage last night for over $250.

GPA avg for 9.4s ~ $75

Appearently the people willing to pay nose bleed prices for non-key 9.6 20 centers haven't shifted their paradigm yet. yeahok.gif

it's not a huge shift because the books you're talking about can only be bought by a small subsegment of people in the hobby

the hulk 159 9.6 may go for a wacky amount, but 500 G to VF copies of that book are sold at affordable prices for every one of them in a slab (of course, i pull that number out of my rear...)

the hobby is not CGC!

and CGC has done very little to prices on non-cgc books other than the occasional speculation on a raw 9.8. if anything, CGC has likely pushed some prices down.

CGC considers pressing neither conservation or or restoration. It's....nothing?

If ya cant detect it.. dont acknowledge it.

The late Johnny Cochran

CGC considers pressing neither conservation or or restoration. It's....nothing?

If ya cant detect it.. dont acknowledge it.

The late Johnny Cochran

That glove was pressed. That's why it wouldn't fit. gossip.gif