• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Web os Spider-Man #1 (odd coloring concern)
3 3

8 posts in this topic

I have six high grade copies of Web of Spider-man #1. Two of them have this vertical streak/coloring on the front cover near the spine. Looking on ebay listings I noticed a few copies up for sale/sold have this same issue, as well. Anyone know what this is, and whether or not this will effect the grade of a comic

I made a post on FB comic page regarding this issue, and one response i got was "This is what's called a dust shadow it happens when the book or the cover has dust on it and it blocks ultraviolet while the rest of the book fades."  If this is true it must of happen while these comics were sitting in a warehouse before disurbution. Like i said, i noticed this on a number of copies of this book being sold online and they're all in the same spot, with varying intensity. 

So i would like to get a grade on this book, to understand how something like this would impact the grade.

Thank you in advance. 

WebSpider-man__14.JPG

WebSpider-man__15.JPG

WebSpider-man__16.JPG

WebSpider-man__17.JPG

WebSpider-man__18.JPG

WebSpider-man__19.JPG

WebSpider-man__20.JPG

WebSpider-man__21.JPG

WebSpider-man__22.JPG

WebSpider-man__23.JPG

WebSpider-man__24.JPG

WebSpider-man__25.JPG

WebSpider-man__26.JPG

Edited by grigoriane

I have seen that line on other books as well, from what I understand it is a bindery/printing defect, it does not appear to be a "dust shadow", foxing, etc.

Dust Shadow - Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and was exposed to settling dust particles. Also see "Oxidation Shadow" and "Sun Shadow."

I do not feel that the book will take a hit for this, however, nobody knows how CGC would view this on any given day.

The only real issue I see is discolored staples.

IMO...

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

Examples of Dust Shadow.

comic-book-terms-dust-shadow.jpg

Comic-Book-Terms-Sun-Shadow.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 10:46 AM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

It's amazing how smart some people are........this is a great format......I take it that you did not purchase these yourself on the day that they were released....and that day would be a Thursday back then ....not a Wednesday like they do now.

P.S. If I can find mine it would be interesting to see if I have the same issue. 

I did not purchase it of the shelf. I think i got it at a convention maybe right after it came out. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:07 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I have seen that line on other books as well, from what I understand it is a bindery/printing defect, it does not appear to be a "dust shadow", foxing, etc.

Dust Shadow - Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and was exposed to settling dust particles. Also see "Oxidation Shadow" and "Sun Shadow."

I do not feel that the book will take a hit for this, however, nobody knows how CGC would view this on any given day.

IMO...

Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

Examples of Dust Shadow.

Thank you for your input. I'm a little confused about the staple discoloration you mention. Are you referring to the bottom staple? i checked on the comic and it's pretty light and silver i think it just came out dark in the photo.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:07 AM, marvelmaniac said:

IMO...

Examples of Dust Shadow.

Exactly.

Thanks for posting.