• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing comic strip art?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

How does everyone store comic strip art (roughly 20" x 6")? I cannot find anyone making a portfolio, mylar or archival envelopes for this size. I tried my largest Itoya (18x24), but hate how the art slides around inside.

Edited by KirbyCollector

I have seen people buying the super large mylars and then cutting them down to make custom mylars (like the poster size mylars).  If you do that and then use double sided tape in your portfolio to make the sleeve smaller.  You then put the Mylar sleeve with your art in it with the sealed edge towards the tape, the art should be safe.  I haven’t tried this but I did get one of my strips in a cut down Mylar.  An even lazier approach would be to take the portfolio sleeve, fold it over to make the right size pocket for the art and then tape it down.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, KirbyCollector said:

they would have the market cornered if they sold a landscape 22x8 portfolio!

Never happen, because none of the cool OA kids collect comic strip art.

Thank god. :wink:

Edited by tth2

On 8/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, tth2 said:

That strip doesn't get comic OA type prices. 

It is in the cheap OA range, I mean sure, you couldn't buy a low quality Sal Buscema panel page for what they go for but come on, Dennis the Menace strips are only in the $3-$5k range.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, batman_fan said:

It is in the cheap OA range, I mean sure, you couldn't buy a low quality Sal Buscema panel page for what they go for but come on, Dennis the Menace strips are only in the $3-$5k range.

For more apples to apples compare a Buckler Hulk strip to a Buckler Hulk Page. Or a Romita Spider-man strip to  Romiat ASM page - although Burkey having cornered the market on the first year strips does skew things

I've been collecting comic book art since the end of the 1990's, while i wish I had picked up some Peanuts while it was "affordable" strip art on the whole is dwarfed by comic book art.  Outliers of course exist;  Peanuts or Frazatta or a Legitimate Calvin&Hobbies are some examples.

Most collectors want a strip that matches their birthday and are satisfied with that.  If you are strip collector rejoice you still have a hobby that for the most part can be fun. 

Edited by MAR1979