• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade Hoarding

157 posts in this topic

Hey, I don't revel in what awaits the comic industry, as it's in pretty tough straits as is. I can remember back to the Independant Crash, where stores were literally burning their books, and collectors were in debt. I remember the horrible crash of the 1990's, where some naive speculators actually lost houses and other assets by not being able to cover their bank loans for truckloads of Valiant comics.

Then again, I'm not going to close my eyes, tap my heels and think all is well, and this rampant CGC speculation will continue unabated for years to come.

"Collector Dies, Unopened Case of Hulk 181 Found"

Here's another headline for you:

"Case of Hulk 181 found, collectors die. grin.gif

5-10 years will almost certainly show us a new "hot" book like Hulk 181. Not that Hulk 181 won't have increased in value (or maybe it won't that's not the point), just that some other book will have caught investor and speculator fancy. The blue chips will have risen in value but most likely by a smaller percentage than the more faddish books. Punisher was hot a while back, today people are smelling around for GI Joes or Transformers or Shogun or whatever that you could've bought on the cheap any day over the past 5 years. When mile high 1 was found, there had been no Batman or Superman movie...maybe the upcoming Micronauts movie will make them more valuable? I know I'm rambling bow, but you see my point...

I actually don't believe much in this trend anymore. It's based on high current readership and more lately, comic book movie trends. Sure, there might be the odd hot book from kids in the late-80's, but certainly no true keys, and after that I see a dead zone of adult readership and speculation.

I posted this in a previous thread, but when was the last time a true Key was found, that had previously been a common and suddenly shot up?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. I'm just speaking to the dollar value trends we see...i.e. Wolverin Origin, Ultimate Spidermans, etc. are goldmines one day, Valiant the next.

Hulk 181 graduated into the echelon of keys and that is undeniable, movie or not. What I was trying to get at is that some books will always have intrinsic value to the HOBBY while others will have momentary lapses of value for the speculator/investor.

Then again, I'm not going to close my eyes, tap my heels and think all is well, and this rampant CGC speculation will continue unabated for years to come.

Joe - I was dead serious - it is all going to depend if you are selling or buying.

>>I'm curious, do you see anything positive in comic back issues? It certainly would sound like you don't.

In terms of valuation, nope. CGC comics have had their day in the speculator sun and there is little upward momentum left. As one knowledgeable collector posted on here, it's like the next 10 years of future price increases has been built-in to current CGC comics.

The only thing keeping the thing alive is the comic book movie fad (which will fade), deep-pocketed investors manipulating the market (who will tire of this game and move on) and the in-bred buying from one spec to another. How anyone can think this will continue for decades to comes is beyond me. It's like making a sandcastle on a beach and then coming back 10 years later, hoping it'll still be there.

The smart money is selling their 1960's and up comics CGC'd and turning that into mid-grade, raw superhero Gold at less-than Guide prices. I can see no flaw in that reasoning, and you'll notice some of the more astute collectors on here are doing exactly that.

In terms of collecting, it'll be a great time for late-Silver to Current buying and I plan on fulfilling a prediction and collecting a USM 1-20 run for pennies on the current dollar prices. Then I'll burn 'em. grin.gif

The smart money is selling their 1960's and up comics CGC'd and turning that into mid-grade, raw superhero Gold at less-than Guide prices. I can see no flaw in that reasoning, and you'll notice some of the more astute collectors on here are doing exactly that.

this presupposes that these smart buyers foresee an upswing in prices for mid-grade raw Golden age superhero books...which sort of implies a future for comics collecting industry ahead...which contrdaicts th eend of the sandcastle you predict.

And points out where we agree and disagree...I think.

I said earlier this week that comics have 50 years or so left. Having said that, I agree with you that the current situation CGC-wise, price wise will end and pretty badly. But just for the excesses There will be a rude awakening....but comics will survive and we will be buyers.

You have a thread with a coin guy that everyone should look at. Where he asks about how CGC is affecting the comics biz. When you told him that we are in the opening stages of the 'game'. he understood immediately what you meant and decided to stay away competely because this phase ended badly for a lot of buyers of coins as well when grading came into play.

sorry S&B---It was so long ago when I replied to you that I didnt understand your reply to my 'planet' question. Good for you. We all try to pay as little as possible...seems you have succeeded more often than not.