• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1950's. (1958) The Path of History
2 2

259 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2022 at 10:36 AM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS NOVEMBER 1958

For November Jack Kirby also did a story for World of Fantasy #16 (Carl Burgos, Bob Forgione cover), writing it and penciling it (Christopher Rule inks). Again, It's another story that reads exactly as the work he was doing for DC, that Marvel would later claim was a Stan Lee plot with a Larry Lieber --script. It's not as Kirby-esque as some of the others (though there are plenty of those elements here), but without a Stan Lee signature it's highly doubtful he had anything to do with it.

Is the current theory that Stan signed everything he wrote during this period?  I can understand one would assume he would assertively take credit for anything he touched, but do all the Western & Romance stories here attributed to Stan Lee carry his signature?

On 8/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, Zonker said:

Is the current theory that Stan signed everything he wrote during this period?  I can understand one would assume he would assertively take credit for anything he touched, but do all the Western & Romance stories here attributed to Stan Lee carry his signature?

Yes. 

Edited by Prince Namor

Ok, I'll elaborate more. Dr. Michael J. Vassallo is the foremost authority on all things Timely and Atlas, having spent 30+ years studying the works of not just Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, but ALL of the people involved in those books, back to even the pulps. He's written books (The Secret History of Marvel Comics on Amazon), as well as the Intro to many of Marvel's Golden Age hard cover collections and runs a blog specifically on this era: https://timely-atlas-comics.blogspot.com

His feeling is, and I'll quote him: Stan Lee signed 'everything' he wrote.

There are examples of Pin-ups, and Paper Dolls, and even covers that Stan signs his name to. 

His blog is an AMAZING collection of information. He LOVES those old timers - has sought them out and interviewed them when everyone else has forgotten them and is probably the #1 reason anybody even remembers and overly romanticizes the career of Joe Maneely. He gives Stan HUGE props for his part in the history of comics... again I'll quote "I truly believe, in looking at the entire history of this business, of Timely-Atlas-Marvel in particular and in the history of the "collecting" part of the hobby, that Stan Lee was absolutely imperative to the success of the Marvel Comics line and the history of comics since the 1960's", AND "I'll always believe that his dialogue was extremely important to the "look and tone" of the 1960's Marvel, it was his whole "ringleader" and "huckster" persona that pushed the books farther out into the public's view than they ever would have gotten with a staunchy, conservative editorial hand like the one over at National. He made the readers feel they were getting in on the ground floor of something special. He brought an intimacy to the readers via his Soap Box column that no other company had and this "hip" feel was at the right place at the right time in history, the 1960's. It all gelled and worked. The enormous success of the Marvel line helped early fandom get off the ground."

His BLOG is THE place to really learn the history of Marvel Comics. HE is the MAN, I'm just a student. 

Edited by Prince Namor

ON NEWSSTANDS DECEMBER 1958

For December Stan Lee wrote:

Wyatt Earp #22 - 3 stories with art by Dick Ayers, and one inventory story with Fred Kida art.

Patsy & Hedy #63 - art by Al Hartley

Gunsmoke Western #51 - 1 with Jack Keller art and 1 with Dick Ayers art

the rest of the lineup would include:

Battle #63 - all inventory stories

Journey Into Mystery #51 (see below)

Love Romances #80 - put together by Vince Colletta

My Own Romance #68 - put together by Vince Colletta

Strange Tales #68 - (see below)