• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay: What happens if an auction ends but the buyer never pays and the seller never cancels and relists it?

11 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 3:19 PM, shadroch said:

I no longer use ebay very much but in the case you mention, wouldn't the seller owe ebay it's cut?  

I don't think so. I've never had a "selling fee" charged to my payment method. It seems like its taken out of the payment when its received. No payment received, no selling fee.

Am I missing anything?

On 8/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, D.O.C.R. said:

Final Value Fees?

It doesn't seem like you read the comment you quoted.

I'm currently waiting for a payment on an $800 book. I have not been charged a dime by eBay because like I said, the fee seems to come out of the payment. eBay seems to understand that an item isn't actually sold till its been paid for, which is what made me wonder about unpaid auctions showing up when folks search for "sold listings".

On 8/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Sam T said:

, which is what made me wonder about unpaid auctions showing up when folks search for "sold listings".

The amount of "market manipulation" on eBay sales is staggering.  In a bull market it works very well, we are in progress learning how it does in what will be probably be an extended bear market 

BTW the manipulation from Auction Houses is even worse.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:33 PM, MAR1979 said:

BTW the manipulation from Auction Houses is even worse

I'm sorry but I kinda have to disagree with you here.

I'm trying to talk about PROVABLE market manipulation and it seems like we can see a ton of it on eBay. The idea that private auction houses are doing something even worse is entirely speculative. And this problem isn't abstract and it ain't happening somewhere else.

People on the sales forum here still cite recent eBay sales in their threads to justify their pricing. If they're not using eBay directly, they're probably going to cite GPA which scrapes eBay and contains all those same fake data points. If some stoner w/ a few shortboxes and a year of actively selling on eBay can spot this major flaw in how they handle searches for sold listings, then a company with an army of genius programmers would also have to be aware of this problem.

At this point it seems like eBay deliberately turned itself into a price-manipulation machine and that flim-flammery has spilled into our pristine boards. The best comic purchases I ever made were on this forum but that was probably 8 years ago. It really feels like things have changed and it might be time to ban the use of eBay and GPA pricing data from selling posts. It's a bummer but if folks can create fake data points for free then really we can't use that data at all.

Edited by Sam T

On 8/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, Sam T said:

I'm sorry but I kinda have to disagree with you here.

I'm trying to talk about PROVABLE market manipulation and it seems like we can see a ton of it on eBay. The idea that private auction houses are doing something even worse is entirely speculative. And this problem isn't abstract and it ain't happening somewhere else.

People on the sales forum here still cite recent eBay sales in their threads to justify their pricing. If they're not using eBay directly, they're probably going to cite GPA which scrapes eBay and contains all those same fake data points. If some stoner w/ a few shortboxes and a year of actively selling on eBay can spot this major flaw in how they handle searches for sold listings, then a company with an army of genius programmers would also have to be aware of this problem.

At this point it seems like eBay deliberately turned itself into a price-manipulation machine and that flim-flammery has spilled into our pristine boards. The best comic purchases I ever made were on this forum but that was probably 8 years ago. It really feels like things have changed and it might be time to ban the use of eBay and GPA pricing data from selling posts. It's a bummer but if folks can create fake data points for free then really we can't use that data at all.

How do you price your books?hm

eBay has proven time and time again they care only about their own bottom line.  Down to their employees alleged threatening of anyone who they perceive as even a minor threat to their bottom line.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/six-former-ebay-employees-charged-aggressive-cyberstalking-campaign-targeting-natick

Market manipulation by Sellers, Speculators, Flippers, and others using eBay is a fact. It rather easy to do, it's probably not illegal in the USA and all who buy collectibles might not want to consider eBay sales numbers as Hoyle.

As for private Auction House's - at least one Major/Huge Original Art dealer admitted on this very forum to shilling.   Not sure you want your topic to go in that direction so i'll stop here.

Reminder I do not and have never sold Comics Books or Magazines in my life.  As for the what the future will bring, never say never

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

How do you price your books

Based on a combination of my affection for the book and my affection for not getting thrown out of my apartment 🤣

I really didn't start selling books seriously until I started having problems paying my bills during the pandemic. 

But that's not really related to what I'm talking about. Because if I price my books too high, they don't sell and don't end up in the "sold listings" category. And if a buyer does not pay within a week it is canceled and relisted and is removed from "sold listings". Asking prices are NOT usable market data and no one on this forum is predatory enough to actually cite unmatched asking prices as the basis for their asking price.

But a lot of folks here (and everywhere else) still cite eBay sold listings and GPA, which seems to include that large number of potentially fake data points.