• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Central Massachusetts incredible collection heading for grading

6 posts in this topic

My LCS (Hall of Comics) had a local guy stop in with some books that he inherited from his grandfather. I got to see a few of the books at a distance but wish I could have been there for this part. They aren't buying the collection, but may do some CPR and will (have?) submit the books to CGC for him. Some amazing books, the AF 15 seems to be F-/F from what I heard. :drool: Not sure what the owner will do with the books but given the quality, I wouldn't' be surprised to see them go to auction. I'll try and find out more on Saturday. Manole (pictured in the video) is a member here but doesn't post.

https://fb.watch/eWIvn_yDKO/

I had to stop watching as soon as I witnessed the pinching and tugging. Maybe that's standard handling for moderns, but delicate, open hands and literal gravity are required here.

Congrats to the owner though.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/16/2022 at 3:07 AM, KirbyTown said:

I had to stop watching as soon as I witnessed the pinching and tugging. Maybe that's standard handling for moderns, but delicate, open hands and literal gravity are required here.

Congrats to the owner though.

My take was they were sealed by the grandfather at some point and the only safe way to unseal them was by cutting one side. I know all these guys personally and trust they did the right thing when handling the books.

Sweet copies of AF15 and ASM1, with really nice preservation of the cover colors and paper.

This is a great time to liquidate some or all of a collection like this.  I hope some of the later books are in high grade.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/16/2022 at 11:13 AM, universal soldier said:

My take was they were sealed by the grandfather at some point and the only safe way to unseal them was by cutting one side. I know all these guys personally and trust they did the right thing when handling the books.

I don't doubt that your friends are nice people with good intentions! One can be of good character while still happening to mishandle comic books.

Slicing through sticky old polybags is a solid approach, especially doing so on multiple sides and peeling away the plastic. The pinching and tugging was the cringe for me, as it's just not a safe way to handle sixty year old comics. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by KirbyTown