• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Wolverine 1 (1982, 2nd copy)
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Without boring everyone with the details, I ended up with several copies of this comic for reasons. This includes 2 graded copies from the first year of CGC's existence when I'm not sure anyone really knew what to expect with slabs. Anyway, I am trying to figure out what to do with the other copies, particularly if they're any better than the graded copies I already have. This one has some stray black ink on the top left corner that appears to be a printing defect. I have a 3rd raw copy of this book that was the first "big ticket" back issue I ever bought at my LCS in the early 90s. It's in the 7s, so no need to throw that one up too.

Wolv2-A.jpg

Wolv2-B.jpg

Wolv2-C.jpg

Wolv2-D.jpg

Wolv2-E.jpg

Wolv2-F.jpg

Edited by scburdet

Both books seem to have color rub in the same spots, after looking at other copies on eBay the color rub shown on your books is not normal, just like the other copy...

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:42 PM, grendelbo said:

Press it for a higher grade

I'm going to check with my guy. Both the graded copies I have are 9.2s and were graded during the first year of CGC's existence. There are no graders' notes and my gut says these were graded before pressing was common. One of them is miscut, so I don't see it getting a better grade. The other.....maybe. I'm hesitant to crack a book that's been encased for over 20 years though. I have nightmares about the ink sticking to the plastic or something. Anyway, I'd love to take one of these copies and see it grade at a 9.4 (or better) and find a new home for the 9.2s. I definitely don't need 5 copies of this book (the 5th is like a 7.5/8.0 and not worth mucking about with), and I'd rather not just buy another graded copy (:

Forgot to post my not traditional "alien waits for claw" GIF, but this went off to Frank Miller & should be back soon if anyone want to take a stab that missed out before.

toy story claw machine GIF

Edited by scburdet