• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Biggest Collecting Goal You Have Achieved (and How Long Did It Take)?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2022 at 7:00 AM, Michael Browning said:

Back when I started getting really serious about collecting, I acquired my “grails” pretty quickly.

I found and acquired the cover to Flash #323 on my first visit to CAF.

I worked a deal with Steve Donnelly to get another goal piece - the Tom Yeates cover to Saga of the Swamp Thing #3.

I wanted a Frank Miller Daredevil page, a Miller Wolverine page and a Dark Knight piece. Got ‘em.

I wanted a Steranko cover and got a Captain America commission from him. When Marvel announced they were doing a big push for Cap’s 75th birthday, I reached out to Tom Brevoort and offered him the Cap commission - because if all these other artists were doing variant covers, they needed a Steranko. Tom said Steranko and Marvel weren’t communicating, but if I could bridge that gap, then he would love to use my commission as a cover. Steranko is a longtime friend, so I got him and Marvel together and talking and my commission and nine others were used as variant covers throughout that year, so now I have a published Steranko cover.

I saw the Crystar #1 cover painting by Bob Larkin about 23 years ago on a dealer’s site and then it disappeared and no one could telL me where it went. About three years ago, it popped up for sale and I sold every key issue in my comic collection to get it.

I had always wanted to own SOMEthing by Frazetta and now I own six pieces by him, including an oil painting and a watercolor.

I recently set a goal of getting a Bob Layton Hercules page and got two from a non-collector who had owned them since 1983.

I am very blessed and I thank God every day for all that I’ve been able to acquire and own.

5A224623-6129-42AB-8E64-7BF108AF954C.jpeg

1E1020E8-B464-4BC2-AD44-D5E3EED448E8.jpeg

73138BAE-C024-403F-9646-462AD0AC7851.jpeg

54A703E9-E30C-4D64-B69F-AF02683D49FE.jpeg

36BDCDC3-4735-4BAB-96AA-3E927529DA57.jpeg

DC7516D8-34DD-4DF4-B9B9-0627A4B718F3.jpeg

Since Paul Smith wasn’t on your list you need to sell to me lol  great stories!

I am a Green Lantern Fan and I always wanted a Green Lantern cover. 

I reached my Goal twice

Back in 2006 I was at a local Toronto con and I came across the table  of a Toronto Artist who was doing the covers to the ION limited Series. I bought the cover to issue 2 and after a while I negotiated to buy all other covers as he created them. The his work can be see here  https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=Kalman+Andrasofszky&GCat=5755

But he did not do the cover to issue one. Still wanted a #1

Fast forward to 2011 add I was perusing the forums. It was at the Launch of DC's new 52 initiative and the cover to Green Lantern New Guardians #1 by Tyler Kirkham was being sold here. I bought it and I finally had my #1

Green Lantern New Guardians 01 Cover.jpg

On 8/18/2022 at 5:22 PM, RBerman said:

Mine are modest within the scope of the hobby. Goals achieved: 

Art Adams: Asgard page

Neal Adams: Green Arrow illustration

Chris Bachalo illustration

Jeremy Bastian: Cursed Pirate Girl page

Sal Buscema: ROM page

John Byrne: Fantastic Four page

John Cassaday: Astonishing X-Men page

Alan Davis page

Jim Davis: early Garfield

Will Eisner page

Michael Golden: Micronaut illustration

Mike Grell: Legionnaire illustration

Jack Kirby: Fourth World page

George Perez: New Teen Titans page

David Peterson: Mouse Guard illustration

Bill Sienkiewicz: New Mutants page

Paul Smith: Ninja Kitty Pryde illustration

Bruce Timm color illustration

Achievable goals still extant:

Jay Anacleto cover

Darwyn Cooke page or illustration

Dick Dillin JLA page

Keith Giffen early LSH page

Gene Ha Top 10 page

Frank Quitely page

Alex Ross page

I remember when you first started. I am very impressed with the quality of artwork you’ve obtained. It hasn’t always been easy I know. But collecting OA certainly has its almost indescribable personal rewards.

Well done my friend!!!!!

🍇 🦍 

To date it was ponying up for the Sub-Mariner 57 Cover in 2006 - which wasn't easy as it was really expensive and my employer at the time was in a delicate situation

That said, help me complete a tougher challenge and help me find an Astonishing Tales 6 Ka-Zar page or a 1970s Nova 11 page!

I've been lucky to get some my my goals done early on especially ones at the top when I first started. the Issue is I keep making new goals and pieces I would like to have whenever I read both back issues and new releases!

Completed
Grail- ROM Space knight #1 Title Splash (Along with a lot of pages from it that I wanted too.)
Deadpool covers from the first series- Was able to get both a McGuinness and a McDaniel cover from issues 3 and 18
Deadpool cover by Jason Pearson
Bill Sinkevich Moon Knight page*- Sold to fund the ROM purchase.:cry:
One of the Marvel Fanfare Pinups I had on my wantlist. 
Manley Darkhawk page
Ditko piece
Star Wars: Crimson Empire page
A few other pieces which I saw in books and thought that I would love to have. Not just for the images but the dialogue and layout which I thought was done very well.

Spoiler

712238259_RomSpaceKnight1pg.1TitleSplashoriginal.thumb.png.b9b578ad322342d2296fbd1fec3545e1.png
1788078880_DeadpoolVol.13cover.png.a88ab90d9ca8e6ee608d822569dba901.png
185262423_Deadpoolvol.118Cover.jpg.466d45b778269c35c16b3fa307ae30d8.jpg
998584459_MarvelFanfare57NormBreyfogleElectro-Spider-ManPin-up.thumb.png.791d5f40f04a7a3fb078aa640bfddc9b.png

Edited by DeadpoolJr.