• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can restoration fix yellowed paper?
3 3

13 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The attached page (in Comic Connect's next auction) is one I have been looking for for a long time, but it is badly yellowed... can restoration fix this? Appreciate any thoughts

x-m1.23773.jpg

That should be no trouble at all for an experienced paper restorer.

On 8/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The attached page (in Comic Connect's next auction) is one I have been looking for for a long time, but it is badly yellowed... can restoration fix this? Appreciate any thoughts

x-m1.23773.jpg

Yes.

On 8/20/2022 at 4:57 PM, J.Sid said:

BUT (unsolicited opinion warning)..... for what it's worth, I like the yellow. I like how it highlights the whiteout touchups, giving clues to their techniques and processes. Also the piece feels more like a historical artifact with the aged paper toning. 

…let alone the cheesecake.

On 8/18/2022 at 2:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

x-m1.23773.jpg

Yes, but you will most likely lose Romita Jr’s signature is the process

You should be more concerned about the acidification, which the yellowing is just a symptom of, than the yellowing itself.  Deacidification can be done by a pro restorer with an alkaline bath, which can also remove some of the discoloration.  Bleaching may make it look better, but it can also weaken the cellulose fibers, without addressing the real issue.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:06 PM, Taylor G said:

You should be more concerned about the acidification, which the yellowing is just a symptom of, than the yellowing itself.  Deacidification can be done by a pro restorer with an alkaline bath, which can also remove some of the discoloration.  Bleaching may make it look better, but it can also weaken the cellulose fibers, without addressing the real issue.

Am really glad I asked, this is great info everyone 

Btw I contacted Gordon, one of the recommended restorers, and his quote was 1500 (did not talk about what might happen to the sig, tho).  All in all, a lot to consider.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 8/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

x-m1.23773.jpg