• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Thanos 13
3 3

8 posts in this topic

I think I have a decision here, but looking for confirmation. I got this out in anticipation of sending it to the upcoming Cates signing. The front looks solid. At first when I looked at the back I thought the texture was just part of the background of the advertisement. Then I looked at the same ad on different books and the color is solid. It has some color rub near the staples and one outer corner, so IDK if the rest of the texture is scuffing. I just had some doubts about where it might have come from b/c it's pretty uniform. It might not be the easiest thing to judge by photos, but I appreciate your feedback.

Thanos13-a.jpg

T13a.jpg

T13b.jpg

T13c.jpg

T13d.jpg

Thanos13-b.jpg

I would assume that this is color rub, I do not collect moderns so I am not familiar with ink/printing/bindery issues with modern techniques/comics.

Assuming it is color rub, other than that all I see is a small, color breaking crease at the top right edge and the corners look very slightly dinged.

The book overall is very nice and just going by the published "Grading Standards" (not CGC's unknown standards) and I may be way off base on this, IMO the color breaking crease is a killer, it may not be as bad as it looks in the blown up pics, however, only because the rest of the book looks good am I assigning this grade which also states..." An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken."

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure.

7.5 VERY FINE- (VF-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

If you look at the grading standards for a VF/NM 9.0, they state..."An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken."

On 8/27/2022 at 10:33 AM, marvelmaniac said:

color breaking crease

I went back b/c I didn't notice a crease when I looked the book over. If it's the squiggly white mark in the the bar above THANOS in the corner, it must have been a fiber or dog hair that landed there when I was moving stuff around 🙄 b/c it's not there now. The rest of your observations match mine. 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:20 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

It's such a great cover

Agreed. I may have to find another copy as this one seems unlikely to hit above 9.0. I dug around a bit more online, and unfortunately not everyone shows the back of their sold/for sell slabs, but they seem to come in two varieties. Ones where the back looks like a pretty dark, uniform black, and others that have a textured look. Here's a 9.6 that looks like the latter, and no graders' notes to assess what they think of that coloring https://www.ebay.com/itm/185434313203. Definitely a risky proposition to send in without more information about what's going on here

Edited by scburdet