• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Terminator #1 (Now)
3 3

8 posts in this topic

Noob to CGC grading.  I have a collection of comics that I bagged/boarded 30+ years ago.  Here's an example of Terminator #1 with some wear. I'm curious what type of grade this might get and if it would even be worth sending in.  

Thanks for your feedback!

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4337.jpg

I'm not as confident those two spine corners press out to >9.0, but I've been proven wrong many times. I think 8.0 is about right as is. There's also what appears to be some color rub on the back. As for whether or not to grade, it depends on your goal. If it's something you want to preserve for personal reasons, go nuts. Beyond that, it depends on your future plans for any book and its value. The cheapest CGC pressing/grading/shipping will be north of $80. Speculating aside, I'd want a book to be valued around $150-200 in the condition it is to entertain grading (i.e. I'd want guarantee doing better than break even with my investment if I ended up selling). This is a newsstand, so it's a little more in demand than a direct copy. I checked ebay sells really quickly. A CGC 8.5 sold for <$120, but there are high grade raw copies selling for <$50. For me personally, I wouldn't consider this a grading candidate (unless there was value beyond $$$ to me).

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome.  This is a book I intend to keep - I put in into storage about 30 years ago and I have no intentions of selling it -- although it isn't in the best of conditions.  My motivation for slabbing is to preserve what I have -- it's not an investment for me.  My only requirement is that I don't want to spend more on grading than it's expected price after slabbing.  

I appreciate all of the good insights and feedback.