• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 3rd Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 3 BOOKS!
5 5

69 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 8:07 PM, Point Five said:

Smoking book, looks almost like new

I believe that. I could get that sense even from the scans. I thought too long about grading it 6.5 but in the end the top edge crease and chip was too moderate of a flaw for me. I said 6.0.

After review of the Police book, I feel the way the scanned images look were not favorable. It seemed a little faded to me and the tanning of the cover front and back. The spine stress from the top staple up seemed fairly heavy along with the tears and folding at the top, to me it seemed too much to go with a 6 or above. But if it looked as good as Point Five says in hand I'm sure I would have considered a 6-6.5.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:46 PM, flashlites said:

After review of the Police book, I feel the way the scanned images look were not favorable. [...]

I thought the FC scan of that book looked pretty nice. But in general, I don't disagree with you. It's maybe worth saying at this point -- these books were scanned on different scanners at different times, and to my eye the scan quality does bounce around a bit (see e.g. my lengthy note on Book 8). I didn't know I'd be using these for a contest... in some cases quite a few years after the scans were made... or I might have finetuned them a bit more. I think it's a 'they are what they are' at this point.  :foryou:

On 8/31/2022 at 10:17 PM, Point Five said:

I thought the FC scan of that book looked pretty nice. But in general, I don't disagree with you. It's maybe worth saying at this point -- these books were scanned on different scanners at different times, and to my eye the scan quality does bounce around a bit (see e.g. my lengthy note on Book 8). I didn't know I'd be using these for a contest... in some cases quite a few years after the scans were made... or I might have finetuned them a bit more. I think it's a 'they are what they are' at this point.  :foryou:

I also think I need to fine tune how I grade books in this range, I am obviously grading too harshly and need to balance it out a little. So I will concede that it was me and not the scans more likely how I read the scans :insane:

On 8/31/2022 at 8:17 PM, Point Five said:

A scan is never as good as a comic in hand - and anyone grading just from scans who is consistently within one grade of the CGC grade is a pretty darn good grader!